Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pickled Onions Spices  (Read 3390 times)

pickleandpreserve

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • pickleandpreserve
Pickled Onions Spices
« on: October 26, 2009, 09:52:11 am »
Which spices are people using to flavour their pickling vinegar?
I've just made a batch of onions using fresh ginger, mustard seeds, peppercorns, cinnamon and some garam marsala mix (not ground), and wondered if anyone's got any other favourites which might be worth trying out?

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
Re: Pickled Onions Spices
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 09:43:54 am »
Hello Pickle I am even newer than you on here in fact this morning I have left R.C.C. I cannot seem to work our how to do my profile! So I am a keen Jam and pickle maker myself and have been for 60years or more So I don't add powdered any thing to my pickling vinegar it makes the vinegar cloudy and worse it settles as Mud? in the bottom of the jar.I have from the local vehicle battery suppliers a distilled water 25 ltr: poly bottle I put Pepper corns - black and white - Mustard seeds - Mace - Dried ginger root - All spice berries - a few dried red chillies ( be carefull) - cinnamon bark .Now to this  I add 4 of 5 ltr: bottles of malt vinegar and leave ready to use next season I dont boil it just leave it.So 10 lbs of nice smallish pickling onions topped tailed and skined Put in a plastic pail to which you have prepared a brine strong enough to float an egg and leave over night.Tomorrow I drain the onions and jar up while my estimated amount of vinegar is coming to the boil.I pour the boiling vinegar into a plastic jug 2 ltr:size and stir in 2 tablespoons of sugar (I do not like the nasty acid taste of raw vinegar)When the sugar is disolved I top up the jars until all are full. Then seal and label and put away in a dark cupboard ready for use in a couple of months.I use this base vinegar for all my pickle projects but not the clear mixed vegatables I use distilled for that.George
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
Re: Pickled Onions Spices
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 05:15:32 pm »
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU George

Thats just what I have been looking for, as an aside Can that mix be used for pickling eggs?
Ian

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS