Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello from Canada  (Read 3748 times)

allsortsacre

• Joined Oct 2009
Hello from Canada
« on: October 26, 2009, 05:25:52 am »
Hello,
I live in southern Ontario in Canada. My husband and I have just over and acre with 4 sheep (Shetlands & Shetland/ Romney crosses), Canadian Chantecler chickens, a small orchard, and some gardens. We are trying to make a small permaculture smallholding here in the great white north. We would like to go bigger and my main interest is breeding heritage breeds and herbs.

Smallholdings are not too popular in Canada. A small farm here is 40 acres and a many farms around where I live have 10,000 acres under cultivation. Needless to say there are not a lot of resources here so I am just thrilled to have a forum to go to when I ask a question.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: Hello from Canada
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 07:13:15 am »
Hi welcome.  France doesnt "do" smallholding either.  My neighbours are still fascinated by outdoor pigs. 

gillandtom

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Stirling
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 07:56:58 am »
Hi Allsortsacre,

Hello and welcome from Sunny Scotland.  Your place sounds great I am so jealous.....  We would love to move to Canada where there is all that extra space but just not sure we could hack the winters..... How do you find them in your smallholding? Gill x

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 08:08:23 am »
Hello and welcome from a rather lovely morning in Fife, Scotland. My best friend moved to Canada about 6 years ago and they love it. The first time I visited them they were living in Kingston, Ontario, and muggins visited them in December. Oh what an idiot I was, it was like minus a million. We took the dog out a walk one day and I thought after a few minutes that I had lost part of my ear and lips, it was soooooooo cold. The scenery was beautiful however and every other time I have visited it has been earlier in the year when it's not so cold.

They now live in Alberta which is wow.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 08:18:46 am by jameslindsay »

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 08:12:07 am »
Hi and welcome.

I'd love to visit Canada. A former coleague of mine emigrated a couple of years ago - she's in British Columbia. She showed me a pic of her new home and it's surounded by vineyards. I didn't know wine was produced in Canada! My chiropracter is from outside Toronto and is always raving about how wonderful it is. Maybe visit next year - but feel guilty about flying now.

Look forward to hearing more about your place.

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 08:27:39 am »
Hello from me in sunny scotland  8) (for a change !)
Look forward to hearing more from you

Snoopy

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 08:58:08 am »
Hello and Welcome from the West of Ireland

Love Canada

Spent three weeks in Banff and touring the Rockies around Lake Louise on Ski-quads
wonderful experience - loved it but did suffer from Altitude sickness (lol)

Hope you get all the advice you need and have lots of laughs and fun here - I do ;D
Julie
Living the Good Life and spreading the word

sandy

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 10:15:06 am »
Hello from Central Scotland, I thinks there are more Scots in Canada than anywhere else, such a stunning country!!!!!Welcome

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009, 06:07:19 pm »
Hello from Derbyshire: today, the weather is middling...
Little Blue

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2009, 06:45:18 pm »
hello from Lincolnshire. Autumnal weather although not as extreme as Winnipeg when we visited!

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2009, 09:28:44 pm »
Not sure when the 'welcome' became a weather report, but I like it!!
Dusk at 4.20pm here, I keep having to tell my husband that the animals dont understand we've changed the clocks back! Takes us ages to adjust every autumn...
Little Blue

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2009, 10:40:36 pm »
Hello and welcome from another one in Scotland. Really good to hear that you're into a permaculture process. We're just just creating our system at the moment, but can't agree where to put things so the plum trees are still in pots.
Looking forward to hearing more. :bee:
kirsty

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS