Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: keeping ducks  (Read 3862 times)

kate7590

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Powys
keeping ducks
« on: June 14, 2014, 02:26:22 pm »
Iv been interesting in keeping a few runner ducks in our orchard, but have a couple of questions…

Do they tend to stay in a particular area or will they try and escape/ run away? They will have approx 1/4 acre to roam in the orchard, and we will put a shed/ house for them with a pond closely. Part of the orchard is fenced with chicken wire, the other side isn't as well secured at the moment.

I like the idea of being able to open their house in the morning and shutting them away at night, but is it that simple?
Will they put themselves to bed at night so all we need to do is shut the door, sort of thing?
Don't think id have the patience to round them up at the end of the day haha!
Living the 'Good Life' in our little Chapel in the rural welsh countryside.
Proud owner of 3 Border Collies, Giant Rabbits, Guinea Pigs, Chickens, Runner Ducks, 3 'pet sheep' &  Jacob Sheep.
Loving life :)

NicandChic

• Joined Oct 2013
Re: keeping ducks
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 02:50:19 pm »
We've a couple of white Campbell's, they stay in stone barn within our courtyard, they get let out in the morning, mooch about the yard (pooping)...wonder round to the back of our barns (poop)...wonder into a neighbouring field (poop)...always come back to the yard in the evening ready to be put away for 9pm (lots of pooping until morning) I feed them in the evening so they always come home, sometimes they put them selves to bed sometimes I just walk behind them - they know the routine  :)

I love having them, such lovely characters and very friendly.

Hopefully have a few more over next weekend - 5 of my girls eggs have been in our new incubator  :fc:

madchickenlady

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Old Newton Suffolk
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 04:07:31 pm »
I have a variety of ducks including runners, in my experience you need young ducks or your own hatchling to train them to come off the pond - my runners love the pond contrary to popular belief! If they are given free range too early then getting them back in at night is almost impossible, they need time to learn that food happens at night especially as they can forage a fair amount of food for themselves. Having said that, I love my ducks and have just hatched a whole new lot, they are great fun and quite easy to please,(also, this is only one persons experience) so give it a go.  :thumbsup:
Heather

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 09:28:54 am »
At the moment we only have 2 drakes (Thanks Mr Fox) an indian runner and a silver appleyard. They have quite a large area with a big pond but seem to enjoy escaping to be with the sheep and like to roam across the fields. At night I can get them back into their area but unless there are 2 of us around we can never get them into their house.

Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 09:36:04 am »
I put my runners in at night, I trained them with food in the house when they were small. Now its just what happens at bedtime, I call 'ducks ducks ducks' and they all appear, from 2 acres and two becks, and toddle off into their houses  ;D

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 11:29:59 am »
Definitely agree it can take a little while to get them used to going in at night, but they can do it. But, Mr Fox can come during the day too. We kept cayugas in a small paddock with a shed in it, and the fox took them during the day  >:(

Find Mr Fox likes duck more than chicken (or they are easier to catch).

Beth

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 09:37:52 am »
I love my ducks, I've got 3 white campbells (but more soon- hatching in incubator today!  :excited: ) they are so funny to watch and the eggs are fantastic. They don't have much common sense though, I have to put them to bed every night, they don't go into their house on their own accord- they have been known to be out in pitch black one night when I was late doing them- luckily mr fox hadn't paid a visit and didn't do that again!

They are pretty minging, but they love eating slugs and grubs, they do fly- mine fly out of their pen most afternoons at about 4pm and have a wonder round the garden until bed time. I'd definitely get some, I love mine, they are pets and if they don't earn their keep then it doesn't matter! (Chickens on the other hand have to lay or go).

kate7590

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Powys
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2014, 12:16:20 pm »
Thanks for everyones replies. Its certainly something id like to do, but the idea of the fox getting them is a major worry for me. although we have 4 dogs and iv not seen a fox around, doesn't mean he won't be there. Silly question but is there anything that would keep a fox away from ducks/ chickens?
Living the 'Good Life' in our little Chapel in the rural welsh countryside.
Proud owner of 3 Border Collies, Giant Rabbits, Guinea Pigs, Chickens, Runner Ducks, 3 'pet sheep' &  Jacob Sheep.
Loving life :)

NicandChic

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2014, 12:19:33 pm »
Llamas are meant to be good fox deterrents  :)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2014, 01:39:09 pm »
we keep ours in the small orchard and the hens can go wherever they want. Foxes are in the neighbourhood but I think the farmer next door mainly sees to them, thank heavens... OH still spreads his wee dutifully and I scatter hair around the borders of our property. So far we only had one fox and I chased him off before he could get to any bird - that's several years ago now. Fingers crossed... :fc:
Bedtime is an issue in the summer, lock - in is FORCED ON THEM AROUND 11 p.m. now!!! In the winter they go when it gets dark.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS