Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dead Hen  (Read 2638 times)

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
Dead Hen
« on: October 25, 2009, 07:13:16 pm »
Let the chickens out of the run this morning as normal - all fine, no obvious problems from any of them. Went back in the run at about 11 to find one hen lying under the ramp into the hut - and she was dead  :'(
The hens are ex-battery, we adopted 10 of them about 2 months ago and they have been great to watch exploring our smallholding and helping with our digging out (we are building our cottage - eventually) The hen that died was one of the bigger ones -she had recovered her feathers really well and I can't say that I noticed any problems.
Hope the others don't go the same way

Tish

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: Dead Hen
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 07:30:10 pm »
Sorry for your loss, we have lost 2 of original 'flock' unexpectedly over this year so I know how you feel.
Little Blue

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 09:17:52 pm »
Sometimes their poor little bodies just can't cope with coming off all the drugs they get, and their hearts just give up.  I have one that was running around ahead of the crowd one day and half way through the next she just fell over dead!  Just keep an eye on the others in case she was carrying something.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 12:09:10 am »
The ex battery hens do just go suddenly unfortumately.  I have lost three in two weeks, but they are probably 3 years old, and from the first lot of ex batts I had. Sometimes, I get the ex batteries home, and within a week one has died. 

I always look at it this way - they enjoyed their freedom no matter how short their time.

bamford6

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 07:49:43 pm »
Do 1 or 2 things give youre birds Orego-Stim for 2 months and onley feed layers mash onley this will make the birds so much better iv had bad pellets before - Orego-Stim Small Holder

Orego-Stim® Smallholder has been specially formulated for use in all types of smallholding animals including poultry and domesticated fowl, sheep, goats and pigs.

Orego-Stim® Smallholder has been shown to dramatically improve the overall health and performance of animals of all types and ages reared on smallholdings and small-scale farming operations, including organic systems.

•Anti-bacterial
•Anti-diarrhoeal
•Anti-oxidant
•100% natural
•Compatible with other products, including vitamins and minerals
•No bacterial resistance
•No residues
•Full technical support
•Certified by the Organic Farmers & Growers for use in organic systems
•Safe - active ingredient GRAS registered by the FDA
•Traceability – FEMAS accredited

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 12:35:35 am »
Oh no!  Not again!  Who is this Bamford6?  An agent for some company?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS