Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: to spay or not to spay ?  (Read 7097 times)

countrygirlatheart

• Joined Apr 2008
to spay or not to spay ?
« on: October 25, 2009, 09:45:23 am »
would welcome information from people's experiences of having a bitch spayed

I've had dogs for many years, have bred show dogs in the past and up to now have never had a bitch spayed.  However, my five year old bitch (who had a litter as a two year old) has false pregnancy at each season which seems to be getting worse.  I'm unlikely to breed from her again but am wary of the possible negative outcomes of the op.  So .. am trying to weigh up pros and cons.  Any views ?  I should add that I have spoken to the vet who not surprisingly is pro-spaying (although she would prefer it had been done at a much earlier age), but I would really like to hear of peoples practical experiences of the op

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: to spay or not to spay ?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 10:05:21 am »
Both our bitches were spayed at about a year old (after their first season). And one season was enough.

Neither of our dogs are overweight - we have to watch Tess, but I don't believe it's anything to do with her being spayed.

Our experience has been entirely positive.

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 10:53:59 am »
I have positive things to say too.

My first basset hound I had spayed at an early age, way before her first season and she sailed through it as though nothing had been done.

My second, I got on from Basset Hound welfare on her first birthday and had her spayed straight away.  She was a little sore, and made the most of it for a few days but other than that is wonderful.

Even though they are basset hounds, neither have had a weight problem (unlike their owner!! lol), so IMO I don't think spaying should be a problem at all.

Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 04:15:25 pm »
Our gsd was spayed at 17 months, just before we had her from the rescue (their recommended policy, but at my insistence!) She had no probs from the surgery, but her emotional problems made it hard work for the vet and nurse! We took the stitches out ourselves as she couldnt cope with the nurse.
She had a very small infection at the site of stitching that we treated, she has good weight now and we are so glad she's 'done' (as are all our cats as well)
Little Blue

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 04:46:47 pm »
I would also agree that spaying is a good thing.
My mum and dad had a golden lab, she had 3 litters and never got her spayed. In her later life she ended up with ovairian tumours and had to have a hystorectomy (sorry for my spelling  ;))It was a major operation which, at her age, she never really recovered from. According to the vet this would never have happened had she been spayed.
Only ever having had dogs myself I don't have the worry of ending up with a litter of pups if they happen to get out and about, but I have had them castrated to prevent wandering and aggresive tendancies when other bitches around here come into season (plus I like my men to be under control  ;) ;D)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 09:26:39 pm »
As a breeder I have usually spayed my bitches at 7 to prevent unwanted and unregistrable litters (KC does not register a litter if the bitch is past her 8th Birthday, quite rightly so too)  However, as my present two are evenly balanced I have not yet had my older one done in case it upsets the applecart - they are both 'bossy bitches' lol.  I may well do both of them after Belle has this litter if I decide not to breed from her again.  I have found that they do have a tendency to get fatter and their coats become soft and woolly - that's my experience from 5 bitches over the years.  I never castrate my dogs since they are usually used at stud.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 08:50:53 am »
I asked my vet about the weight issue. He said my dog would get fatter if I let her. Which is true. He said that there is no physiological reason for spayed bitches to put on weight - where older bitches are spayed, weight gain is probably due to the bitch being less active anyway. As I say, it hasn't been a problem for us - the weight issue has to be managed as it would have anyway and our dog's coats are fine. Although a former colleague of mine had a Cocker spaniel bitch spayed and her coat went wooly - must be a breed thing.

pauline

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 04:26:26 pm »
I would always spay any female which you do not intend to bread with. I lost my 14 1/2 yr old collie cross due to a womb infection and due to other health issues would not have survived the op, so we took the decision to have her put to sleep :-[. We have also had to have our 11yr old cocker spayed again due to a womb infection, but she recoverd well. Neither dogs had ever had a litter (don't know if this would have made a difference)! Our vet said that it is very common for unspayed dogs to get infections due to the cervix not closing properly after a season and infection getting into the womb especially as the dog gets older. we will be getting our 2yr cocker spayed this winter and not put her thruogh a big op when she is older (we were trying to decide whether to breed from her first)
Hope this helps

countrygirlatheart

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009, 08:04:33 pm »
many thanks for the replies folks

doganjo - can I ask if you have ever had urinary incontinence problems with any of your bitches after spaying?    That is my main worry.  My bitch is now about 5 and a half years old and I read somewhere that this can be a problem if you spay them when they're a bit older. 

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 12:19:29 am »
many thanks for the replies folks

doganjo - can I ask if you have ever had urinary incontinence problems with any of your bitches after spaying?    That is my main worry.  My bitch is now about 5 and a half years old and I read somewhere that this can be a problem if you spay them when they're a bit older. 

We had one bitch that was doubly incontinent for the last two years of her life, but was perfectly well and happy other than that - she lived to 17 and a quarter  ;D ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2009, 12:41:02 pm »
I spayed both my German Shepherds, Tanya who was two at the time is now incontinent and has been for the last couple of years. she is 8 years old. Fallon was older at 3 years as i had been still showing her and has had no problems. Neither bitches were ever bred from before being spayed  :dog:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2009, 03:23:02 pm »
I have refrained from spaying Freckles - I normally spay my bitches at around 7, and Frecks is 8 past July - as I was unwilling to upset the power balance between her and Belle(She is 5 and a half).  However, now that Belle has had a Caesar and I've decided once is enough and  am not going to breed from her again, I may consider doing both of them.  Although I'm not sure the bank balance could sustain both at once.

countrygirlatheart

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2009, 06:36:37 pm »
what's a typical cost for the op ?

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2009, 07:48:25 pm »
I was £135 for each of the Shepherds but that was a few years ago. I set up a direct debit with my vet and started paying that way. Worked out well and was very handy when I was breeding the ponies. Better than trying to put the money in a bank account as you end up using it for something other than the vet bills. :dog:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2009, 08:57:47 pm »
What a good idea.  I'm going to ask my vet ifI can do that too.  Would need to work out what I pay in a year and add a bit on for emergencies.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS