Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello!  (Read 6842 times)

troyster

• Joined Nov 2007
Hello!
« on: November 02, 2007, 02:31:40 pm »
Hi there.  My name's Phin and, as I joined the forum yesterday, I thought I'd introduce myself. 
I live in Hampshire with my wife and two boys (third on the way!).  I'm 31 and work for the church as a Youth Worker & preacher - great fun!  I also teach the piano.
I have a town house with an averagely large garden - big enough to keep my two beehives and three chickens. 

The reason I've joined is to find out information (and share any info I might have) about self-sufficiency and smallholding.  My wife and I are hoping to rent a few acres from a nearby farm, where I hope to keep a few pigs, chickens, a cow and her calf.  The pigs, chickens and calf are for meat, but the cow is for milk and yearly calf production.  That's the plan anyway.  There are plenty of hurdles to get over, not least of which is my mild squeemishness (I'm still feeling a little sick from looking at a photo series on how to pluck & draw pheasants about ten mins ago!)  Honey & eggs are SO easy!

Anyway, that's me. 

Phin  :)

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
Re: Hello!
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 07:06:07 pm »
hiya welcome to the fold :)

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 10:35:31 am »
Hi welcome, pigs sheep and chickens I can cope with, although the cockerel is a bit of a worry at times, but cows ... brave man. 

jan

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 04:19:01 pm »
And I thought 6 chickens, 3 dogs, and 1 cat was enough.....a warm welcome Phin.

Pebbles

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Central Scotland
    • Ardunan Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 09:02:50 pm »
Excellent, someone else starting from scratch.  ;)

Welcome. I look forward to hearing all your news.

Pebbles

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2007, 12:27:27 pm »
Hello Phin!

Nice to see you here, really looking forward to hearing how you get on with your cow and calf (it's something we'd love to do if we can secure the space).

Dan

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS