Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Flu jab directive for poultry keepers.  (Read 3018 times)

Taters

• Joined Oct 2009
Flu jab directive for poultry keepers.
« on: October 23, 2009, 04:45:15 pm »
My son helps out on a farm rather than helping me ( probably as he gets paid cash by the farmer ). He has now come home with a letter from the farmer stating he needs a flu jab due to working with poultry and this is apparently a requirement for people working with poultry.  Is  anyone on here aware of this requirement?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Flu jab directive for poultry keepers.
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 04:49:40 pm »
Ask Defra, they'll know
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 05:08:15 pm »
Remember your GP surgery gets paid approx £5 or £6 for every vacination they give. So, it is in their interest to go out shouting that certain categories of people must get the jab. No thanks for me!

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 06:07:29 pm »
thats there to protect the hens. imagine the cost if they all had to be culled. up to you and your son have the jab or not. but its the farmers right to protect his birds.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 06:32:23 pm »
Remember your GP surgery gets paid approx £5 or £6 for every vacination they give. So, it is in their interest to go out shouting that certain categories of people must get the jab. No thanks for me!

Not sure if that is still the case, James.  Remember most of the the GP contracts changed onto a salaried or contract system in 2005.  I'll ask my son-in-law when they come home from their hols.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009, 06:49:14 pm »

Not sure if that is still the case, James.  Remember most of the the GP contracts changed onto a salaried or contract system in 2005.  I'll ask my son-in-law when they come home from their hols.

Pretty sure I am right on this one Annie. Don't even know who told me, my friend is a GP possibly it was him. Interesting what your son in law says.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 08:39:13 pm »
I used to work In Practitioner Services - Internal Audit department.  I audited the accounts of Inducement Doctors who had to submit their annual expenses so that they could have a top up payment above the normal claims.  When I retired the new GP contract was about to be put into place, except for inducement GPs for whom the system was not to change.  I must admit I didn't pay much attention after I left - but found this just now, so you could be right about non-salaried GPs.  My understanding when I was in teh NHS was that the Practices were to claim fromt eh PCT for all services provided whatever they are, and the GPs were to be paid a salary, but as I said it's along time since I worked there :
This page describes the pay for doctors from 1st April 2009
General practitioners
Many general practitioners (GPs) are self employed and hold contracts, either on their own or as part of a partnership, with their local primary care trust (PCT). The profit of GPs varies according to the services they provide for their patients and the way they choose to provide these services.

Salaried GPs employed directly by PCTs earn between £53,249 to £80,354, dependent on, among other factors, length of service and experience.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 08:42:17 pm by doganjo »

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2009, 08:59:23 pm »
i got one of those letters, dont think i will have it as i had one 30 years ago and had the worst winter for colds etc ever, dont know if theyve improved, but i thought we were all going to get swine flu this year not bird flu?

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2009, 10:09:46 pm »
its infectious to us, pigs and poultry.

Taters

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2009, 06:08:52 pm »
Thanks everyone for your replies, much appreciated.  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS