Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: wallnuts  (Read 3661 times)

sarah1703

• Joined Oct 2009
wallnuts
« on: October 23, 2009, 01:57:36 pm »
Hi I have 12kilos of wallnuts so far & theres still more on the tree does anyone know what to do with them they are still in their shells so hopefully wont be going off, I have never grown wallnuts or any kind of nuts before & dont know if they need shelling & roasting or if its ok to leave  them as they are ?

HappyHippy

Re: wallnuts
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 02:31:56 pm »
I'd crack them all open and make orange & walnut mincemeat for christmas  ;D
Here's the recipe I use - it's lovely  :yum:
Orange & Walnut Mincemeat

Makes about 1.5kg (enough for around 50 mince pies)
Prep 20 min plus 1 hour soaking – no cook

200g / 8oz each of raisins, sultanas and currants
juice of 1 orange
6 tbsp grand marnier or cointreau
175g / 6 oz walnuts, toasted & roughly chopped (or more if you love them !)
200g / 8 oz unsalted butter, melted
175g / 6oz candied orange peel, finely chopped
finely grated zest of 2 oranges
200g light muscovado sugar
175g / 6 oz freshly grated bramley apple

Soak the raisins, sultanas & currants in the orange juice & booze for 1 hour or so until all the liquid is soaked up.
Now mix in all remaining ingredients.
Spoon into sterilised jars, seal tightly, then store in the fridge until ready to use.

Will keep in the fridge for up to 2 months
Enjoy x

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 02:39:18 pm »
Or just have them in a bowl ready to crack open and eat over Christmas
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 02:58:00 pm »
That recipe for Orange and Walnut mincemeat sounds delicious.....Definitely going to try that one.  :)
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

sarah1703

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 03:19:12 pm »
thanks for the replys ill try that recipe it sounds lovely I need to learn about bottleing drying ,making chutney/jam ect, we have loads of fruit trees & too much has been wasted from them because of not knowing what to do with it all & not having the equipment & ingrediants to preserve. The chickens, ducks & pig have eaten it all & we have nothing for winter. Next year I will do better & hopefully be growing all our veg aswell.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009, 04:53:03 pm »
Got this from a website too

Pickling walnuts is a three-week process from picking to preserving, it is dead simple to make a plentiful supply of pickled walnuts
Ingredients

2kg freshly picked black walnuts
225g salt    
Sweet Pickling Syrup

1 litre malt vinegar
500g brown sugar
1 teaspoon allspice
1 teaspoon cloves
½ teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger    green walnuts ready to be pickled

Method

pick walnuts at the end of June before the hard nut forms inside the green shiny case. Pick a bucketful and, wearing rubber gloves, prick each walnut a couple of times with a fork. Watch out for the clear juice this produces. It is deceptive, as it stains a dark brown.

Cover the walnuts with water and add salt. Leave for a week, then drain and renew with fresh brine solution for another week or so.

Next, lay walnuts out on trays in a dry, airy place. In a couple of days they will turn jet black. Now the walnuts are ready to be pickled..

For the sweet pickling syrup

Combine all ingredients in a saucepan. Bring syrup mix to the boil, then add walnuts and simmer for 15 minutes.

Cool and spoon walnuts into large jars, then cover with syrup. They will last for years. These pickled walnuts are great with cheese or cold meats, and make an interesting colour contrast on a pile of mashed potato.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sarah1703

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2009, 08:14:15 am »
Thanks for the pickling recipe I will try it next year its to late now theyr all ripe, :bouquet:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS