Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: wet land  (Read 1943 times)

nancyscho

• Joined Oct 2009
  • Mid Wales
wet land
« on: October 23, 2009, 01:50:54 pm »
Is it possible to keep pigs on a field that is wet in winter or a wet bog as long as their housing is on a dry area. I know they like to wallow but could it be too much of a good thing.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: wet land
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 02:08:01 pm »
Personally I would avoid any field that was not at least half dry ground.  They can cause untold damage to boggy areas in winter.

nancyscho

• Joined Oct 2009
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 03:32:32 pm »
Thanks Hilarysmum, 

That's what my husband Meirion thought about the fields, although it wouldn't matter too much if the bog was churned up. It's not a site of any particular importance having been drained at least once. Some years ago he did think of harvesting the peat for fuel. Think of the fun the pigs would have throwing the mud all over the place. For their next move we have found a site by a brook which I think they will enjoy.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009, 10:16:35 am »
Before you go ahead, make very sure you will have a fair sized dry guaranteed dry area; as I knew some people whose pigs drowned in mud, even though they had thought the land was dry enough, a short sharp overnight storm was the culprit.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS