Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bird contretemps  (Read 4116 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Bird contretemps
« on: June 13, 2014, 09:28:58 pm »
I saw something today that I've never seen before. There is a pigeon who regularly visits to steal from the hanging bird feeder. Today while he was here, the local magpie also arrived. The pigeon puffed himself up to his full size and looked very worried while the magpie hopped around him and over the top of him. I know magpie go for small birds but I would hardly class a pigeon as small! I swear the magpie was teasing him.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Bird contretemps
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 12:30:49 am »

I bet it was too  8)

My pigeon tale for today was to do with a buzzard.  This was flying over when there was a sudden thwump -  a  pigeon had dive-bombed the buzzard.  I think it was out of sorts because something (very unlikely to have been the buzzard)  had predated its squab from the nest and ripped it to shreds under the hedge.  I've never seen a pigeon attack another bird before; I thought they raced away.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 08:07:19 am »
Mine is a magpie tale.

OH saw a fox in the next field earlier this week. He was chased away by the magpies  :thumbsup:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 10:10:35 am »
I have seen crows, a lot, fighting buzzards and red kites too, the kites and buzzards just fly away not havng a care in the world. ;D
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2014, 10:15:17 am »
something (very unlikely to have been the buzzard)  had predated its squab from the nest and ripped it to shreds under the hedge.

Why unlikely to be the buzzard?  They do rob corvid nests, don't they?  Which, I have always assumed, is why the jackdaws and rooks chase them as they do?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2014, 12:57:40 pm »
Not exactly contretemps - or maybe it was? 
About 2300 last night  I was sitting in the barn, I mean watching my flock, and there was a bang and clatter from the far end, near the owl box (see previous posts).  I could see a young owl standing on the ledge around the box.  He stared back, bobbed about a bit, then turned around and hopped back into the box.
A minute later I could heard something moving around on the floor of the barn.  It was another young barn owl, and it went behind a massive stack of wood.
I went to try and find it, to no avail.  This morning I tried again (having read up on rescuing baby barn owls) and spent over an hour looking for it amongst all the junk/really useful stuff in the barn.  Not a sign ??? .

I hope he made it back to his parents, as apparently they only feed their young at the nest site.  Or maybe it was just time for him to move on?

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2014, 01:09:38 pm »
During the weeks I was shutting up my chicks about 9:00pm and heard a cock in the shed making a strange noise...
I looked up to see a barn owl swooping out, did a lap of the house as sent my hens scattering before heading back passed me, seeing me and deciding to go back into the shed. It was brilliant to see!

I don't think it was after the hens -knowing that most of their diet consists of small mammals, but the hens certainly sensed danger.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2014, 05:16:40 pm »
something (very unlikely to have been the buzzard)  had predated its squab from the nest and ripped it to shreds under the hedge.

Why unlikely to be the buzzard?  They do rob corvid nests, don't they?  Which, I have always assumed, is why the jackdaws and rooks chase them as they do?

The pigeon's nest was deep in a dense part of the hedge, all spikey and hard to see the squab.  The buzzards round here seem to be quite lazy and eat carrion and earthworms.  One did eat a hen though - don't know if it was dead already.
But this was far more likely to be the stoat - feathers left but nothing else, and they climb up inside the hedges.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS