Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: anyone travelling from Perth to Lockerbie??  (Read 6158 times)

claire

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Falkirk
    • Clairesgarden
    • Facebook
anyone travelling from Perth to Lockerbie??
« on: June 13, 2014, 09:18:55 pm »
I have an exhausted lost racing pigeon who needs to be returned to her home in Lockerbie if anyone is travelling that could take her?
I am near Auchterarder and could possibly get her to Falkirk or Glasgow if someone was going down from there.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: anyone travelling from Perth to Lockerbie??
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 11:59:18 pm »
Hmm, not sure I'd send her home.  If she is not good at 'homing' she won't be raced again nor bred from and I can guess her fate.  :'(
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 10:56:49 am »
Yes, I'm afraid I agree.  If the owner won't come and collect or arrange transport, that sends a pretty strong signal.

We had a racing pigeon turn up here a couple of years ago, and the owner wasn't interested. He stayed here for about 9 months and used to sleep on our bedroom windowsill. He just died inexplicably one morning - a real shame, as I used to love watching him fly about the farm.

Personally I'd keep her..... or if you can't, I will!  :)

« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 11:24:44 am by Womble »
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 11:14:29 am »
. He stayed here for about 9 months and used to sleep on our bedroom windowsill.

thats so strange because i had a racing pigeon living in my window sill for a few months as a kid. i took great delight in feeding him. he left after a while.

claire

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Falkirk
    • Clairesgarden
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2014, 12:12:30 pm »
gosh you are all very negative! he is keen to have her back and I am keen to get her home,

I have been asking on social media for help and the gentleman who owns her is also trying to find if anyone is travelling this way.

there is a possibility of someone going down during the week so I have to speak to them tonight. if nothing definite her owner and I will keep looking for a way to sort it out.

cheers.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2014, 12:23:18 pm »
Sorry if that's how you see it.  I have personal experience of pigeon fanciers.  My late uncle kept pigeons - he was one of the good ones and only bred occasionally, so didn't need to cull.   But believe me most of them do!

One of my staff raced pigeons, and when I found a very tame ringed pigeon my back garden she actually told me NOT to bring it in to her as they wouldn't even try to find the owner and just 'bin' it!

My friend's next door neighbour has 50 adult pigeons and 22 young stock.  He told me the same thing.

Whenever human beings become competitive something has to suffer - its a fact of life, negative or not.

I wish you and your feathered friend good luck!  :fc:

Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

claire

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Falkirk
    • Clairesgarden
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2014, 12:53:49 pm »
I am asking for help.

I believe I am doing a positive thing, helping an animal in distress and trying to help the owner get her back.. he wants her back but is unable to collect her. I can't afford the petrol to run her there.

please don't turn this into a discussion to label all pigeon owners with the same negative attitude.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2014, 02:43:08 pm »
I'm not, I'm trying to let you see what could have happened to her.  She is lucky to have a caring owner. I can assure you most of the  competitive ones aren't so caring.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2014, 04:30:36 pm »
That's great news if the owner does want her back Claire. I don't ever travel South, but I hope you can sort something out soon.

I always wondered what would have happened if I'd taken our 'Walter' away somewhere and released him - whether he'd have come back here. Unfortunately he died before I had time to find out, but I'm pretty sure he would have done.

They're pretty impressive birds, homing pigeons  :thumbsup: .
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2014, 08:17:53 pm »
back to the topic - iv no idea, but is it possible for her to be transported by train or something like that? or dont they allow that anymore?

claire

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Falkirk
    • Clairesgarden
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2014, 09:59:46 pm »
that's a good idea though she couldn't be put on just as a 'box to go', as you have prompted me I have looked it up... by train... if I left at 10am I wouldn't get back till 5pm and it costs £10 more than it would for petrol and driving is about five hours there and back.

its no problem to have her here, for a couple of weeks if necessary, while something can be organised. it gives her recuperation time anyway.

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2014, 07:48:21 am »
If she's just exhausted after getting lost, wouldn't a few days rest mean she could fly home herself?  Sorry I know nothing about pigeon racing but isn't that the whole point of why they're kept/bred/raced?
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

claire

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Falkirk
    • Clairesgarden
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2014, 07:51:12 am »
yes letting her go has been suggested, but I think her owner and I would prefer to see her safely home to recuperate.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2014, 10:23:59 am »
If it can wait, my fiance's parents live near Lockerbie, and they will be coming up on Thursday or Friday this coming week for a day at the royal highland show. They live in Lochmaben, just along the road from Lockerbie.

We are near falkirk, but are going to the show from Tuesday, so if you are bring her to us, would have to be by then- or bring straight to the show?

Beth

claire

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Falkirk
    • Clairesgarden
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2014, 02:18:32 pm »
that might work, there are probably people from here going to the Highland Show so we could have a 'pass the parcel'.

if I brought her to you earlier that means you having to care and clean etc so the show might be a better passing place. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS