Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bye calves!  (Read 2966 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Bye calves!
« on: October 22, 2009, 11:24:03 pm »
I have helped the farmer who rents some of our land, to sort his calves ready for the sale tomorrow.  Had to get all the cows and calves onto the grass track, block them in with a gate, he sent forward the ones that are going, and I stopped the ones that aren't going from following.  Then we shut the gate on the cows and calves staying, and sent the others to the end of the track to get in the trailer.  Thats the hard bit, getting them up the ramp.  They hate walking on it.  To be fair, this years calves were not as bad as some have been.  Hope they behave tonight, without their mums .....he has shut them in a field shelter for the night.

I am typing this listening to a chorus of mooing in the field, as those without their calves, search the fields.  Some of the older cows have been through this countless times, but it does not get any easier, they still shout for them.

He has kept two nice heifers which will join his suckler herd, not sure why, he is in his mid seventies now!!

Fingers crossed the prices are good tomorrow, and the calves go to nice people.  Hope the prices ARE good .....he needs to pay for his summer grazing next week :D

stooriefit

• Joined Dec 2009
Re: Bye calves!
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 09:22:06 pm »
Roxy
A good tip to make loading up a ramp easier is to spread some straw or grass on
the ramp,it does'nt look so scary to the calves then
Jock McCracken

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS