Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: piglets umbilical cord  (Read 5584 times)

Lynnes

• Joined May 2009
  • My boy's
piglets umbilical cord
« on: October 22, 2009, 05:50:06 pm »
I have bought Downland first aid purple foot spray and was wondering can i also use it on piglets umbilical cords, anyone out there used it for this before it is anti microbal anti viral ect. it contains chlorophen and triclosan 

Pentre1230

• Joined Apr 2009
Re: piglets umbilical cord
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 06:40:05 pm »
You should get away using it, you may find it tends to "run off" as it doesn't dry that quick so you will probably have to do it again after 10 mins or so. We prefer to use iodine, but when we have run out we have used a "off the shelf" umbilical cord spray from our local mearchants and have had no problems..

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 07:10:11 pm »
Its not necessary to spray piglets umbilicals! they just break then shrivel naturally!

BillyBerridge

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Nottinghamshire
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 07:26:43 pm »
They will dry naturally but is the point not about hygene and preventing infection as opposed to speeding up nature?

Pentre1230

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 09:36:26 pm »
Yes your right BB, The point was about hygiene practices, one of the causes of joint ill is bacterial infection entering through the untreated umbilical cord, so although yes it is not necessary to treat the umbilical cord you would be foolish not to, its good welfare practice, only takes a few moments and saves against a painfull disease and then having to treat with antibiotics. We farrow 4 to 6 litters a week, we have always treated navels and never had a problem with infections entering via the navel etc, all I can say is the choice is yours.....     

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 09:56:58 pm »
I know this sounds like a really naive question but does a sow take care of the cords herself or does the human have to do it?  As a dog breeder this interests me.  How much intervention does a pig breeder have to input?   With one of my bitches I had to clamp and tear the cords myself, but with the one I have now she has always done it herself.  She makes a neat job of it so I leave her to it.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 10:03:10 pm »
Not naive at all, the way I do it and have been advised to by experienced breeders whom I like to refer to as my mentors! ;D
Is to leave it as much as possible to nature. When the piglets are born they are still attached to the cord, they make their way round to the teats, sometimes getting sprung back like a bungee!! the cord then breaks on its own, I have been advised to leave them alone as they are long enough to prevent infection naturally, if they were to break too near the body then its necessary to spray! thats the way I have been advised anyway.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 10:07:11 pm »
I just wondered because once a long time ago as a novice breeder I had an argument with a bitch - she pulled one way and I pulled the other and the pup ended up with a small hernia.  So now I don't argue with the girls. I have a friend who clamps the cord as soon as the pup is born, but she also takes it from the sac with a towel and dries it so the bitch does virtually nothing.  i too prefer it to be as natural as possible.  Thanks for that, Dixie
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 10:30:52 pm »
thats interesting! I always thought that the bitch licking and cleaning the pups stimulated them in some way to help them?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 11:09:56 pm »
Well, if Liz had left her last bitch to get on with it she'd have had 11 dead pups and probably a dead mum too.  She just didn't try to push and would only feed them when forced to lie down. There was a dead on holding up proceedings and she needed a Caesar  Luckily she had another bitch that whelped a week before so she fed and cleaned the pups.  But Liz had to top up.
I just open the sac at the nose end so the pup can breath, sometimes the bitches aren't quite quick enough and I've heard of pups drowning.

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2009, 01:10:31 am »
I never spray cords on piglets. I leave alone unless they are getting in the way and wait till they shrivel then clip about 2cm from the naval just do there is no accidents caused by standing on others cords.

As someone has said! Personal preference!

Lynnes

• Joined May 2009
  • My boy's
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2009, 12:34:52 am »
 ;) Thankyou to everyone for all the replies. pentre123 you were right about the spray being a bit runny but it got the job done just fine, I did find the iodine this morning in the horses first aid box, used last-- new foal----I should have guessed. I Just have to say in case anyone is wondering, I wouldn't cut the umbilical cord, I just keep a watchfull eye on the piglets and mum at this time. I'd help clear airway if piglet choking or struggling for  breath but let it find teat on its own if poss. I did not spray the whole length of Umb. Cord just from tum to about one to two inches, then reapply. If I could have found the Iodine I'd have treated the same area. Miss piggy has done it all on her own, her first babies and  I'm so proud of her. I was only her lady in waiting providing her with all the little comforts I could. She had seven and all doing well.     

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2009, 06:59:04 pm »
Congratulations! My sow is a fantastic mother too, I'm only ever there just in case! :pig:   You watch how fast they grow its amazing!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS