Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Free grazing and poisonous plants  (Read 8408 times)

sophie_aj

• Joined Sep 2012
Free grazing and poisonous plants
« on: June 13, 2014, 10:48:08 am »
I have two lambs (very tame) and we were going to turn them out to one of the fields but we have alot of grazing round about the house and so considering allowing them to stay where they are used to over the summer months. We attempted to leave them out last night in their fenced grass area but they escaped and put themselves to bed in the shed (as has been the routine)!

Are there any plants that really ought to be dug and removed before allowing them to do this? What are people's thoughts?

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Free grazing and poisonous plants
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 11:27:33 am »
Others on here will I'm sure be able to give you a list. Lost 2 of mine to rhodddie poisoning last year. Managed to save several others. Neighbour had cut it down and thrown against the boundary fence and it toppled into our field. It was really horrible watching them go. Not a nice end. Vet said it only needed a small nibble and it was unlikely they would survive and not a lot that could be done. Just saying as I would hate it to happen to anyone else if it could be avoided.

rhododendron for definite  :(

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 11:57:08 am »
Yew and privet are poisonous although mine have nibbled at privet without apparent ill effect.  They will destroy almost any plant in their wake :o including fruit trees and roses (don't ask me how I know ::) )

sophie_aj

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 12:10:00 pm »
For the most part we don't have anything we are too concerned about although they have demolished my chives!

There is a fair amount of bracken around but they do seem to be leaving this alone now - there is no way I could begin to wage a war on the bracken right now!

I was just reading about elderberries and co. being poisonous and we have a few of those about. Hmm.

We are ok for yews, privet and no rhodedendrons fortunately.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 12:14:57 pm »
We have elder trees in the hedges and the sheep do eat the leaves.  Maybe it is ok in small amounts?  They will clear the ground of ivy but, again, ivy berries are supposed to be poisonous.

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2014, 12:26:18 pm »
Mine have a real obsession with horseradish leaves ???

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2014, 12:43:12 pm »
There are elderberries in our hedgerows and in most of the fields around here. Maybe if consumed in large quantities.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2014, 03:03:33 pm »
Yes, our goats will eat elder but not the sheep.  As with in the hills, I had a ewe die a couple of years back to rhodie poisoning.  It makes you very aware of what's in your ground and it does only take a nibble.

If you have anything with shiny leaves - azaleas, laurel etc then they will poison, yew, privet as already mentioned and I'd be wary of any other evergreen plant.  These are all the usual culprits, but things like deadly nightshade etc, things that aren't common could catch you out.  Laburnum trees are highly toxic (that's the ones like big yellow chandeliers) and surprisingly there is a farm near us with several on the grass verge, also another smallholding nearby with laurel within stretching reach  ::)

If I had an animal plant poisoned again I'd have it shot quickly, it's a horrible death for them and even if they do manage to survive they can have problems later.

Good that you're sounding out before any problems.  Your lambs sound grand though sophie and obviously like their own bedroom  ;) quite right lambies  :D
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2014, 03:38:10 pm »
Foxglove.
Rhubarb.
Castor oil plant (ricin)
Rue.
Colchicum (autumn crocus)
Monks hood.
I don't trust anything 'exotic' if I don't know it
Acorns - don't think these are poisonous as such but fill the rumen, can't be digested, can't eat anything else.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2014, 04:46:56 pm »
Grass. Every sheep that eats it will die at some point, it can take many years in some cases

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2014, 07:23:06 pm »
most of the time the sheep will avoid eating toxic plants. though with some plants they can eat a small amount. I would be wary of anything 'exotic' like rhodedendrons, but if I were to try and remove everything toxic from the reach of my sheep/lambs I'd have to give up sheep keeping. Today my sheep were eating the grass around the Rhubarb, playing in the bracken and the foxgloves and they spend the sunny middle of the day in the shade of the laburnum hedge (and using the low branches for back scratchers).

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2014, 10:09:25 pm »
 ;D

I wouldn't go out there tomorrow mab, they'll be munching on the Triffids  ;)
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

sophie_aj

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2014, 12:38:08 pm »
Lambs are very happy creating generalised havock - they do seem to quite enjoy their bedroom. "Pampered" springs to mind!

We are mostly ok I think bar the bracken and a small laburnum which they don't seem to touch. Next step... fence off the roses!

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2014, 08:28:15 am »
I had someone come to look at my BWM lambs last night. He mentioned he'd had a couple of goats but they died! Thought it might be eating acorns which is probable except mine ate them last year I'm sure and it didn't affect them.

My main concern though was that when I mentioned rhododendron being poisonous he said his sheep had been eating it for a couple of years and were fine. Am I wrong? Is it ok to eat? Why haven't they died if it is toxic?

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2014, 09:25:53 am »
Unlikely it's rhode he's looking at.  My vet said 99.9% of ewes die.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS