Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fat Frank lives up to his name  (Read 2189 times)

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
Fat Frank lives up to his name
« on: October 22, 2009, 01:01:27 pm »
Fat Frank and JT went to their end on Monday.  My first ever piggies, and I didn't cry - I must be getting hard.  ;)

Have just taken a call from the butchers to say they might be a bit late as Fat Frank was larger than expected.  He says he was 90kg (I even thought he said that was a half, but that surely can't be right?) They were 6 months and 2 weeks old and I was careful not to overfeed.  Weighed amounts every day.  Hope he is still yummy.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Fat Frank lives up to his name
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 01:49:17 pm »
I "weighed" ours with string about 2 weeks before they went on Tuesday and they were roughly 200lb which is about 90kg, and they were about 7 months I think, but gilts.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 04:27:28 pm »
lots of pork yumm.

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 04:56:11 pm »
Weighed them with string?  This sounds like something I should know about.  Rosemary - please help me out?

kp

• Joined Mar 2009
  • near whitby noth yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 06:53:13 pm »
I didn't cry either and normally I'm a right sofftie, my fat lads were 9 month when they went to slaughter the dead wieght was 100 kg for one and 97kg for the other I was dissapointed at the amount of fat on them until I tasted them, delicious. When I was guesstimating their weight I measured them in inches around their bellies just behind their front legs and multiplied this by their length between their ears to the root of the tail then divide by 12 for a lean pig by 11 for a medium and by 10 for a fat pig this gives approx weight in pounds, I wasn't too far off the mark.

Karen

Nisbet

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 07:25:05 pm »
kp - am interested to see that your boys were 9 months when they went off. I acquired 2 x 9-month tam gilts (now 10 months).  I had just recently got 2 weaners and then came across a lovely lady who was moving and having to part with her piggies - daftie that I am took 2 of her girls - with the vague thought that I would get them in pig and on we would go.  However, I am having seconds about that just now - I do feel that I need to go through the whole thing of raising weaners to slaughter before I take on piglets. Am unsure what the most economical route is - buy weaners, fatten, slaughter, replace with more weaners or keep Mama Cass - breed - sell weaners/bring them on for meat .... aaaargh.  Anyways - my thoughts that if I sent the big girls off now they would be past their best and would maybe only be good for sausages or sumthin - but you say although fatty - your lads were lush! That heartens me.  I am a bit stuck just now as the powers that be up here (Scottish Borders) seem to have made a hash with my CPH numbers so I think it best to getr that sorted before any further movements.  Very tempted to ship biggies off (one of them especially is a bit of a thug - well, total hooligan really) and replace them with a couple of large black weaners - in a few weeks.  All decisions eh.  But just wanted to say that your comments seem like good news and make me bit more hopeful of the quality to expect.  What breed were your boys and what you replacing them with? N

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 07:38:07 pm »
Tams are one of the breeds that don't need to go early. We keep tams and we NEVER slaughter before 11 months and that's the boys.We have taken girls much older than that .Generally tams are hard to put lots of back fat on they're more like racehorses than shire horses.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2009, 10:06:21 am »
... and you will be having a roast pork dinner to die for.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS