Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Query about topping a field that has sheep in it  (Read 5137 times)

swm

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Heanor
Query about topping a field that has sheep in it
« on: October 22, 2009, 11:35:56 am »
Hi,

I am quite new to keeping sheep and have had a couple of lambs this year which were raised for (and now inhabit) my freezer. I have be moving them through small paddocks made of electric mesh. This has meant that I could top the paddock that they came off to clear some of the coarse grass and hit the weeds.

How quickly after topping can sheep (and other livestock for that matter) be put back on a paddock?

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
Re: Query about topping a field that has sheep in it
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 06:51:03 pm »
If there is enough space I wouldn't even take the sheep out while I top the field, There is no need to hold any sheep back What they don't like they won't eat. However!!  If you have ragwort pull it out before you top it as when it becomes dry sheep will nibble at it and that isn't good for them.
Ian

swm

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Heanor
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 08:58:08 pm »
Thanks for your reply.

I have always had horses and have been conditioned by BHS/Pony Club warnings that wilted grass cuttings would be V hazardous to health. Given that the main theory of sheep seems to be that their ambition is to find a way to die I have kept mine away from anything that anthing even remotely threatening.

Pentre1230

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 09:43:30 pm »
Hex is spot on, we don't take any of our sheep or cows out of the fields when we top, horses yes, sheep no need..Having em in the field stops you getting bored while you top as ours insist on following the topper around, they think its a sheep snacker!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 09:58:57 pm »
I know it's a running joke among my farming friends that sheep are born with a death wish but is it really a fact?  Do they really try to find ways to die or are they just always getting into mischief?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 11:16:55 pm »
We do have a saying that blue faced leicesters should be born with a spade attached as they need burying from day one
Ian

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS