Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Day old  (Read 1665 times)

The Woodsiders

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Near Horley in Surrey
Day old
« on: June 12, 2014, 12:32:33 pm »
Hi, I would like some advice please, we have just had (24hours) a chick hatch, left in the incubator as advised then transferred to a brooder box, dipped its beak in the water then the feeder so it would know where they were and what they were for, it seems to stay under the electric hen for most of the time which is understandable, when it does come out has trouble standing up and falls over and when it attempts to walk seems to move on its haunches, can anyone advise me if this will get better or is it going to be a case of putting to sleep.
Many thanks

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Day old
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 12:42:19 pm »
Are chicks legs splayed?

Is it a particular breed? Our pekins walk in a really peculiar way for the first 48 hours or so. Sort of leaning forward as though there is a problem with their legs. Are not at all active at first either ... compared to say Freisian chicks. Sorts itself out.

Somewhere_by_the_river

• Joined Dec 2013
  • Near Llandeilo
    • Angela French Graphite Artist
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 01:35:18 pm »
It would help to know what the chick is. In the early stages you would expect them to be more than a bit wobbly, but if the problem persists there may be some things you can do - pheasant breeders, for example, have a number of techniques for sorting out leg/feet issues which may be of use. Keep an eye on it for the next 24 hrs then see what you think then; try to see if it's a general weakness or if you can spot where the problem stems from...

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 02:01:41 pm »
Same as others. I often find ducklings and goslings more of a problem than chicks but they're all wobbly to begin with. See if you can work out why he's not up - are his legs spreading? are they pointing backwards? are they unmatched? Hopefully there is a solution - I've only lost one that was so badly malformed it wouldn't ever be able to walk and that was very clear where the problem lay (and was a goose).

H

The Woodsiders

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Near Horley in Surrey
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 09:41:37 pm »
Thanks for your replies, sad but I had to dispatch, it had managed to scratch its neck very badly and was bleeding profusely and just lying on its back barely moving.

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2014, 08:15:13 am »
That's a shame, some do seem suicidal. I've had batches of chicks determined to drown them selves and get wedged in corners etc.
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS