Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wanted - Somebody to turn my fleece into something lovely!  (Read 2349 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Wanted - Somebody to turn my fleece into something lovely!
« on: June 12, 2014, 10:12:09 am »
Folks,

I have three beautiful Manx Loaghtan fleeces here (actually I have four, but one is still mostly attached to an uncatchable sheep  :roflanim: ), and no time to do anything with them.

I'd really love for somebody to turn them into something beautiful for Mrs Womble's birthday (discretion please - she doesn't read this forum, but she does see PM notifications!  ;) ).

So, is there anybody on here, or do you know of someone who might undertake a commission?  I'm thinking of something like a blanket or small throw, but am open to ideas, perhaps also incorporating other fleece for different colours.

What do you think?  :thumbsup: 
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Wanted - Somebody to turn my fleece into something lovely!
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 10:28:35 am »
Normally these sorts of posts get a "people don't realise how much work is involved" sort of response...  and it would be a lot of work... but Manx!  It's so gorgeous!! 

Just to give you an idea, Womble, we are doing a 'Sheep to Shawl' challenge next month, and have worked out that there will be approx. 40 hours' work between the preparation of the fibre, the spinning, knitting and sewing up to make any kind of a shawl.

And that is with fleece that needs hardly any prep, using singles (one strand of spun yarn, whereas generally one would use two plied together) and knitting on large needles to give a lacey effect.

Adding time to wash and dry the fleece (ours is pre-washed), card it (Manx will need carding), and spin twice as much yarn, ply it, wash and full it, then knit, finish and block.. you can probably double the time.

It would be quicker and therefore cheaper to make a hat or a pair of mittens, wristwarmers - something smaller.

Do you know what is the staple length, Womble?  The distance from the cut surface to the end of the bleached tip?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 10:54:38 am »

Thanks for that Sally, I'll be honest, I hadn't realised there would be *that* much work involved. I'm obviously not looking for this for free though!

Perhaps I'll have to scale back my ambitions to a wee hat, but let's see.....

We roo'd the fleece off them except for the back of the neck where it was rather inexpertly sheared by yours truly. I can't tell you if it's good fleece or not, but it's fairly clean and oh so soft  :love: :sheep: :love:  I'll post some photos of the fleece and take measurements later.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 12:40:56 pm »
there is someone who has just joined TAS who is starting out in spinning fleeces, you could ask her. :idea:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

BALLOCH

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 02:27:44 pm »
Yes it takes a lot of time and patience to take something from raw fleece to finished item,so is normaly only something people do for themselves as know one willing to count folks time,no matter what craft.you can send wool away to be processed but this takes along time for small amounts and is very exspensive a friend of mine sent 5 Shetland fleece and it was £350 and he still only has balls of wool and not a finished item.Good luck would love to help but real busy, love the preparation but not keen on the knitting!

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2014, 12:25:06 pm »
Maybe contact your local branch of the Guild of Spinners, Dyers and Weavers?  It would be a lovely gift to receive :hugsheep:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2014, 12:52:03 pm »
Maybe contact your local branch of the Guild of Spinners, Dyers and Weavers?  It would be a lovely gift to receive :hugsheep:
I agree. It would be a lovely gift. Unfortunately my spinning isn't good enough.  :(
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS