Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Maiden Milker and Mastitis  (Read 3747 times)

robc

• Joined May 2013
Maiden Milker and Mastitis
« on: June 10, 2014, 08:06:41 pm »
Hello

I have two Goats a Sannen and Toggenburg  both of which are at least 8 years old and have never had kids or been with a billy. They were running with a hand reared 10 month ram for about 2 months.
TheToggenburg bagged up but has now got mastitis I have antibiotics for her and am milking her daily. The Sannen has now bagged up.

Do I start to milk the sannen? I would prefer not to but I don't want her to get mastitis as well
are there any reasons why they have both bagged up this year? or is it due to the ram being with them?

thanks

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
Re: Maiden Milker and Mastitis
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 10:29:53 pm »
Well no-one else seems to have an answer so I'll get the ball rolling, I expect more experienced folk will be along later.

If she's got mastitis she'll need stripping out as much as possible to help clear it.

Is this the first time they've bagged up. Might be time of year, lush grazing or phantom pregnancy??

I've got a 9 year old here who bags up a bit each June and I could probably encourage her to milk more but her milk tastes revolting for no obvious reasons.
If the saanans udder isn't too full just keep an eye on her.  Milking will encourage more but might be necessary.
What feed are they on?  cut out hard feed for a bit.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 07:03:54 pm »
Hello!

It is the right time of year for them to bag up. It is possible that because the ram is there, their hormones have been more impacted than in previous years, just by having him there. I echo Dogwalker comments, if the udder isn't too full, then I wouldn't milk her. Obviously the one withal titis needs to be milked out while you get the mastitis cleared up.

Beth

robc

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 08:23:19 pm »
great thank you for you help,
there not on any hard fed at the moment, the ram went about 4 months ago. Would prefer not to milk the Sannen as we don't like goat milk! we're milking the  Toggenburg  as much as possible - she still on antibiotics

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 11:26:46 pm »
Hi, sounds as though you are doing the right thing with the mastitis and I would agree with the previous comments about that, I also agree that you should keep an eye on the other goat but if you don't want to o milk her just check her regularly. I would also like to put the cat amongst the pigeons and tell you that it is also possible that if your ram was with them that he could have tipped them. I here you laugh !!! I saw my young ram mate my in season goat and she stood quite happily for him, several times !!! Having spoken to my vet, when he stopped laughing, he made enquiries and it is possible for a goat to hold to a service from a ram. The vet came and injected her to rid the problem and they no longer share the field with him !!!! :roflanim:

robc

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 07:32:58 pm »

yes the thought did cross my mind, I did a little research a found a sheep/goat cross born in Ireland early in the year, Im very much hoping this is not the case!

How long until the mastitis goes down? she's got another two courses of intra mammary antibiotics and the lumps don't seen  to be going down

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 07:54:41 pm »
The "geep" born in Ireland was a witnessed mating between a sheep and a wild 'goat' which from a distance may very well have actually been a horned native breed sheep.
It may be worth getting the vet to do a scan just in case.
Goats can also have false pregnancy, so a scan would pick that up too.
Goat sheep hybrids are possible, but the foetus is not usually viable so leads to abortion or a stillborn baby.
Mastitis can be difficult to cure, and sometimes requires multiple treatments intramammary, and even systemic injections, and can reasonably frequently end up with permanent scarring. I would talk to your vet about it as they should be able to advise you best.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2014, 08:49:11 am »
The "geep" born in Ireland was a witnessed mating between a sheep and a wild 'goat' which from a distance may very well have actually been a horned native breed sheep.
It may be worth getting the vet to do a scan just in case.
Goats can also have false pregnancy, so a scan would pick that up too.
Goat sheep hybrids are possible, but the foetus is not usually viable so leads to abortion or a stillborn baby.
Mastitis can be difficult to cure, and sometimes requires multiple treatments intramammary, and even systemic injections, and can reasonably frequently end up with permanent scarring. I would talk to your vet about it as they should be able to advise you best.

Ditto everything above  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS