Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: sudocrem?......  (Read 3239 times)

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
sudocrem?......
« on: June 08, 2014, 09:49:51 am »
went milk to hazel this morning but she has what i suspect are bites from her kid on both teats which started bleed. how do i get these healed up while she's still feeding a kid? considering a health application of sudocrem which might also discourage the kid from being so hard on her teats.....thoughts?
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: sudocrem?......
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 11:23:38 am »

You can get udder cream (bag balm) from your agricultural merchant.  Avoid the one with peppermint in because it nips like *******.

I would have thought sudocrem was not suitable for a suckling nanny any more than it would be for a ewe. I keep sheep not goats, but they only split into separate species 4.000 years ago (today's useless fact) so are still fairly similar.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 12:25:13 pm »
I already have udder cream which is fine for conditioning the teats but not sure if it would help heal the cuts which is why I was thinking of sudocrem?
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 08:34:27 am »
I've sprayed with antibiotic spray and used sudocrem and neither seem to hurt the kids. They heal well. I have used the minty udder cream around udder avoiding cuts to try and deter suckling but it doesn't!

You could also wash in hibiscrub which won't harm either.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 08:48:22 am »
I thought about iodine too but had visions of her pure white kid running around with a bright yellow mouth  :-\

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 01:30:58 pm »
 :roflanim: :roflanim:

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 10:36:28 pm »
teats seem to be healing up nicely, even managed to get some milk from her this morning without too much hassle, she does seem reluctant to let the kid get on the teat at the mo so thats probably helped

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS