Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: new chicks  (Read 5348 times)

Andrew

• Joined Dec 2007
new chicks
« on: April 12, 2008, 09:29:09 pm »
 We have just had the most wonderful day. We now have our first livestock after attending the Poultry auction in Stirling. See Rosemary's diary entry for today. We have just put all the chicks to bed. We thought our henhouse is only big enough for the 4 black rocks, so have put the silkies into the dog cage and put them into the greenhouse. Janis and I have constructed an ad hoc run out of some poultry wire and old timber and the birds enjoyed a couple of hours of scratching and running on our lawn. The children did finally get fed at 9pm and we have just had a bite to eat although we have managed to toast the birds with the best part of two bottles of wine. We are now looking forward to
 our first eggs. I can tell you for sure Rosemary there is absolutely no way the Silkies are ever leaving as they are already part of our family.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: new chicks
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 09:37:38 pm »
Didn't really think you'd hand them over. The buff one is so cute! We had a great time too - and learned a lot. Look froward to you first eggs, too.

Rainyplace

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 08:08:09 am »
Hi Folks
Finally got a spare moment. What a great day that was, I bought Marans, a trio of cuckoo and a pair, a cuckoo hen and a white cock. Spent the last two days banging bits of wood together making them comfortable and trying to prevent any major riots with the already resident Black Rocks. Things have calmed down and was rewarded with a first egg yesterday.
Returned to Caledonian Mart yesterday for the tree/plant sale,another good visit, bought 6 apple trees, 2 damson, a Silver Birch and  Rowan, oh and 150 Hawthorn! Planted the fruit trees last night, today the Hawthorn. Ran out of carrying space so couldnt buy any more, but they had great stock. Glad to hear your new arrivals have settled in. Andrew, Turkeys the next time?

Andrew

• Joined Dec 2007
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 09:45:41 am »
Time for a quick update. We are now being rewarded with an egg a day and on Thursday we had the first egg from the Silkies, which although very small I am sure will be very tasty. It is earmarked for Breakfast tomorrow.
 I was informed by "she who must be obeyed" that our second hand house was not suitable for our girls with the result that The Chicken Hilton arrived today and this weekend they will be able to move in to their new luxury accomodation.

Our eggs in the incubator have been very productive and out of 18 eggs we have now hatched 2 Scot's Greys, 2 Plymouth Rocks and 5 Partridge Wyandottes.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 08:03:59 pm »
Which one's down Janis's bra?

Andrew

• Joined Dec 2007
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008, 08:01:35 am »
That would be Jordan ;) ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS