Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Polly Tunnels.  (Read 5109 times)

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
Polly Tunnels.
« on: June 11, 2014, 12:03:43 pm »
Hi,can some one let me know if or where I can find out if I need planning permission to put a polly tunnel on my land.I need to get as much info as possible as I have been having problems with my local council.The have recently lied to me after some one reported me for keeping sheep and chickens on my land.They said I needed planning permission to do this,what a joke.

Thanks Graham.
Graham.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Polly Tunnels.
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 01:42:50 pm »
It will depend on whether you are putting it within the curtilage of the house or on agricultural land. If it is on agricultural land you will need to go through the agricultural prior notification procedure.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 02:00:10 pm »
Hi,its a small holding,agricultural land.Its also in an area of outstanding natural beauty,what do you think my chances are.What is involved with agricultural prior notification procedure.

Thanks Graham.
Graham.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 02:51:11 pm »
Have you got a holding number? Because it is illegal to keep sheep, not chickens, without a holding number. :thinking:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 03:12:06 pm »
I thought this post was about polly tunnels ?
Graham.

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 03:21:07 pm »
Sorry i feel insulted by that remark,i have kept live stock for several years,i actually have 4 holding No.s not that its any of you business.You would have a hard job nowadays to purchase pigs or sheep with out one.Well you would down in the southeast I don't know what its like up your way.

Graham.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 04:24:13 pm »
If you are siting it within the area designated as for agricultural use then you have to make an application to your local planning office for prior notification. The rules on this may be different with it being in an AONB. The best bet is to pop along too your local planning office when they do a planning surgery and you can ask them what is required. For us (not in an AONB and in Scotland) I have to submit a scale plan showing what the structure is, what size and it's relationship to other buildings on the site. There are usually  details of the local plan etc on your local council website so that may be worth a look.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

JulieWall

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Cornhill, Banff
    • The Roundhouse
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 06:47:33 pm »
We discovered several years after erecting our polytunnel that it may have required planning permission but to date, nobody official has queried it. It sounds as if you might have one or more picky neighbours if someone reported you for keeping livestock on a holding :(.
If it were me, I'd phone up the planning department and get advice directly from them. If they have told you it's ok to erect one nobody can call you out on it. Ask for it in writing though, cover your back. Good luck.

Pretty much what CC said I just realised  :-[  She has legal expertise of course, very handy sometimes.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 06:50:34 pm by JulieWall »
Permaculture and smallholding, perfect partners
http://theroundhouseforum.co.uk/

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2014, 07:00:32 pm »
Hi,thanks for the reply’s.my neighbour is a magistrate and hates me being there.He is pulling the councils strings.They tried to say i needed planning permission to keep farm animals on there as the land has had a change of use to equine put on it.
So now i a loath to ask my council for advice as they have all ready miss lead me once.

Thanks Graham
Graham.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2014, 10:57:30 pm »
Sorry i feel insulted by that remark,i have kept live stock for several years,i actually have 4 holding No.s not that its any of you business.You would have a hard job nowadays to purchase pigs or sheep with out one.Well you would down in the southeast I don't know what its like up your way.
I was only trying to help, I am sorry if it sounded impertinent. Maybe you should have a talk to your friend and ask him why he doesn't like you being there. personally I think that you shouldn't need permission to put polly tunnels on your land, after all it is your land and you can do whatever you want with your land. Good luck :thumbsup:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2014, 12:00:04 am »
Hi Waterbuffalofarmer, thanks for your reply.

Graham :thumbsup:
Graham.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2014, 07:59:48 am »

County Dangler

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2014, 05:15:58 pm »
I'm pretty sure you do. But because we have over 5 hec we only needed to give them prior notification and some simple drawings. A week or so later i had a letter saying carry on. If you've got over 5 hec it's going to be difficult for them to stop you. Google permitted development.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS