Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help - Runaway Cows!!  (Read 11740 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Re: Help - Runaway Cows!!
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2009, 11:16:05 pm »
Good to hear some are back, hopefully the other two will be brought back soon.

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2009, 04:31:22 pm »
Good news!  One of the Dexters had been hiding out on the common (they're so small, they can get away with that!).  So hopefully will get her back with the others (or should that be udders?).  That just leaves Shula.  Looks like a second weekend driving round the county with binoculars. I wont be happy till we get her back.

danndans

• Joined Jan 2008
  • aberystwyth
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2009, 11:03:26 pm »
if you get realy stuck and desperate i'll pop down if you cover my fuel.
weve got dexters that tend to go walk aouts as and when they want, and i know how awkward they can e to get back!!
we are only a couple of hours away. just shout here, or pm me if you want.

Dan
Make your words soft and sweet, as one day you may have to eat them.

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2009, 09:27:18 pm »
Thanks Dan. I do love the way that people on this site are so happy to help.  We are gradually tempting them back onto the common with food.  I just wish I knew what had set them off.  We spend so long getting them trained to the bucket and now it seems we have to start all over again.  They will come out of cover but won't come anywhere near us.  We have one of the Dexters back where she should be but the other one is nowhere to be seen.  If we find her, we may well need a hand.

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2009, 09:29:12 am »
Still no sign of the last Dexter, but the good news is that all but the Dexter cow are now feeding from the bucket again.  The Dexter is still in hiding in the scrubland or beneath the trees and only seems to come out near dusk.  Hope she doesnt get spooked by the fireworks.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2009, 11:29:14 am »
Hopefully she'll get lonely and come home.

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2009, 08:42:56 am »
Well, still missing one Dexter, but the other Dexter cow is finally back with all the others and is feeding from the bucket again.  I'm really surprised that we've heard nothing about the missing girl, but then she is very small, so could easily hide, and I suppose there are a lot of unscrupulous people out there who might have taken a fancy to her.

smiffy

• Joined Jun 2008
    • http://www.northmoor-rarebreeds.com/
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2009, 01:59:34 pm »
a friend of mine lost 12 comercial cattle in spring, over a two month period he got 11 back. the last one hasnt been seen by anyone and it turned up in a fold yard this week, 8 miles away , so dont loose hope sometimes it takes a while and a bit of hunger for them to track down food!!

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2009, 11:50:01 pm »
Do hope you find your missing cow.  Now winter is approaching, farmers will be bringing cattle in, moving fields, feeding etc. and if theiy have an extra cow, hopefully they will make enquiries, advertise, whatever, to try and find the rightful owner.  I know where we are, with it being open moorland, quite often cows, and sheep, get in with other herds and flocks, and are not noticed maybe for weeks.  So don't give up hope.

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2009, 08:56:25 am »
WE'VE FOUND HER!!!  I am so pleased to report that we have located our missing Dexter, Shula.  She is not far from where we lost her and although the people who own the land she's on have not been able to get near her, one of our group managed to feed her from the bucket and stroke her, so she obviously hasnt forgotten us.  We need to give her a bit of time to settle down but should have her back where she belongs soon.  thanks to everyone who offered help and advice.  What a lovely Christmas present! :cow:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2009, 01:08:09 pm »
Excellent! Really glad to hear she's almost home!

mrs.moo

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Oxfordshire
  • My lovely cow
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2010, 10:38:59 am »
Hello, I've just read about your cows and as the post was weeks ago it has probably been solved by now. I thought it might help you to know how I manage my cows as they are in a 30 acre field and the only access to it is over a golf course---NOT the place for them to run around on. I hand feed my cattle every day with loaves of bread. It means they look forward to seeing me and soon become used to running up as soon as I appear. They will follow me around for food which is the clue to all animal training. Very best wishes.

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2010, 12:57:00 pm »
Hi MrsMoo - we do hand/bucket feed them every day!  They are usually all very friendly and we still dont really know what spooked them.  We have been trying to lure Shula into the trailer and she is now feeding in there.  Unfortunately, the trailer is now stuck in a foot of snow! but we are hoping to be able to move her back with the others shortly.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS