Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: identification of pigs & food  (Read 2799 times)

nat2211

• Joined Oct 2009
  • Somerset
identification of pigs & food
« on: October 20, 2009, 02:17:43 pm »
Hi everyone,

I understand that i need to tag my pigs, but do i only need to tag them before they go to slaughter? Also are metal tags better then plastic tags?  ???

Any advice would be great,

Also forgot to ask, I'm currently feeding my pigs grower pellets from mole valley, they are 12 weeks old, & i was also told these pellets would be OK for my 8 week old pigs? is this true, Ive read so much & so many books that i actually think my head is going to explode!! sorry just want to get it right!! :-[

Thanks
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 02:56:31 pm by nat2211 »

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
Re: identification of pigs & food
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 03:36:26 pm »
The Mole Valley grower pellets are fine for your 8 week olds too.

You will need to tag your pigs ears with metal tags with your number on just before going to slaughter.
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

nat2211

• Joined Oct 2009
  • Somerset
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 05:20:11 pm »

Thank you,

i was just abit confused because i heard someone talking about grower / finisher pellets, but i was under the impression that i should feed grower pellets up until 16 weeks then move onto finisher pellets?

Are pellets better then nuts?  ???

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 06:01:14 pm »
Personally I don't use finisher pellets, I just use grower.  I'm sure others will tell you what they prefer.

I use the pellets right through for my meat pigs.
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 03:48:58 pm »
You can feed either growers and finisher or just growers, I feed sow pencils, they actually start eating these at 10 days old! along with milk from mum! nuts and pellets are the same thing!
They will have to be tagged with your herd number before they can go to slaughter, as long as the tag can withstand carcass processing it doesnt matter if they are metal or plastic.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS