Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: CHRISTMAS PRESENT  (Read 5088 times)

Chocolatenina

• Joined Oct 2009
CHRISTMAS PRESENT
« on: October 19, 2009, 02:50:57 pm »
HI,
My partner and i have recently moved to a bern conversion with a lovely couple of acres.We have chickens for eggs and ponies at home.My partner has expressed an interest in wanting a Pig to breed and use the little ones for meat for the family.Im a vegetarian so really am nervous about this.I would like to get him a weaner for christmas and then keep her til ready to breed so she can stay with us.Then also keep one of her litter as company for her.I have decided that i like the Oxford Sandy and Blacks.We will do a pig keeping course.Im keen to know what people think and does anybody know any weaners ready around christmas.Or maybe a gilt.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: CHRISTMAS PRESENT
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 03:00:41 pm »
I know absolutely zilch about pigs but I do know that ALL animals like company of their own kind - so don't get one, get two.  Other than that I think you are doing just fine  ;D ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 04:10:05 pm »
Best bet is to get one breed quality gilt and one meat quality.That way family get to have quality pork sooner rather than later time it so breeding gilt farrows just as you take the other one to slaughter.

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 04:38:18 pm »
Great advice gavo.

Let us know where you are Chocolatenina, one of us might know someone local to you that would be able to help.

Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Chocolatenina

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 05:06:26 pm »
Thats a good idea Gavo.I dont like the idea of keeeping animals alone.Hence why 1 horse is now 2 horses and 2 ponies. :horse:I could maybe cope with this idea.Im in Stone.Staffordshire.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 07:13:24 pm »
enjoy looking after them and let the other half enjoy eating them. when your eating your own animals you do treat it with more respect. thatsmy excuse for wasting nothing.

Chocolatenina

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2009, 07:26:47 pm »
We have been to see a Breeder today and have chosen 2 weaners.They were so cute but what isnt at a week old.Cant wait to bring them home.

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2009, 07:36:03 pm »
Are you going to eat both of them?

I wouldn't recommend anyone with no experience to attempt breeding. A good breeder should have explained that it's full of complications, and not a task taken on lightly!!

Sorry to be a blight on the roses!!!

Chocolatenina

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2009, 05:21:48 pm »
We all ready have good animal husbandry skills.We have successfully bred our ponies.We spent along time talking the breeder and he felt that we would be ok to try and breed.He is only 30 minutes drive away.We live in the countryside and our neighbours are all farmers.We are friends with our local vets and we will not be worried to call for help.
"I wouldn't recommend anyone with no experience to attempt breeding"[
I m glad the breeder did not have this attitude as nobody would ever breeed as we all have to start somewhere.

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2009, 05:34:47 pm »
You're right, we do all have to start somewhere but I personally wouldn't sell animals to someone, who intended on breeding, with no experience of that animal.

I beleive that if you're serious about breeding properly then you'll take the time to get to know the animals, not just with a 30 minute conversation!

But as I usually say, this is my very humble opinion, and I don't take kindly to people who don't know me incinuating I have a bad attitute!
You would think worse of me if I freely let you have an animal without questioning your intentions for it.
I'm very passionate about the after care of my animals and I dread of think of the mistakes and possible harm that can come of inexperienced people taking on more than they can chew!

HappyHippy

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2009, 05:48:56 pm »
Hi Chocolatenina,
I think you'd be best to learn lots about pigs before attempting breeding too, sorry.
I've kept weaners for meat and am still learning lots before getting my 'breeding stock'.  ;D ;D ;D
You did mention a pig keeping course, see if you can get one that covers breeding too - that way you'll have a good idea of what's involved and plenty of time to learn while your pigs are growing. You do sound very clued up (and sensible ;)) and I don't want to offend you in any way - but there have been posts in the past when you just think "NOOOOOOOO"  :o :o :o- there are lots of people out there who just think it's a case of 'getting the stock, putting them in a field and letting them get on with it' and we all feel a sense of worry and alarm for the welfare of the animals concerned.  :( :'(
I'm sure that won't be the case with yourself - and no-one wants to put you off ;).
But you need to be aware of whats involved, danger points, how much land you'll need (2 acres could very quickly become not enough land if you can't sell your weaners and are trying to raise 5 or 6 meat pigs as well as breeding stock) costs of running the operation etc etc etc you'll be better prepared to handle any problems when they arise.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2009, 08:50:41 pm »
With the very best will in the world you need to have a bit of experience with pigs before embarking on breeding.  You state you have bred horses, I wonder if someone came to you to buy a filly to breed from, having never had horses before, whether you would be quite comfortable selling her to them.  I think your breeder may have been keener to sell on a couple of gilts than on whether or not she was doing you a good turn.

Your local farmer/vet/breeder is not likely to be on hand in the middle of the night, when you are stuck in an enclosed space with an unhappy gilt giving birth. 

People on here dont comment negatively on here, they are trying to help, their comments are kindly meant.  Of course at the end of the day its you who will make the decision and you (and your animals) who will bear the consequences should things go wrong.

Give yourself time,  the experience you will gain from these two gilts and others you keep for eating, will give you valuable experience, and the confidence to be able to deal with the unexpected when you do breed.

Chocolatenina

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2009, 08:33:15 pm »
We are nor breeding the 2nd gilt until she a year old.We will have had a few fattening pigs before then.So giving her and us time to get to know eachother and therefore she will always have company.I was actually advised of the breeders from one of your members.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2009, 06:54:43 am »
Give it a year, you might realise in that time how very hard pig breeding is and the enormity of what you are considering.  Not for a moment suggesting you dont breed from your gilt, just that you give yourself a reasonable amount of time to understand exactly what you are taking on. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS