Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Opinions wanted on courses please! Area: Scotland, or far north England  (Read 6269 times)

CarolineR

• Joined Jan 2012
Hi everyone, Just wanted to say, feel free to stop by the SAC Consulting/SRUC stand for a chat tomorrow for all those that will be at the Spring Gathering.
Also, all those who have signed up to receive email updates on courses instead, we should be letting people know by email what the arrangements will be for this year soon. We never do courses in the spring/early summer, everyone is far tooo busy, so the late summer/autumn/early winter will be the time in which courses and talks are arranged, as last year.
Caroline

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
Maybe missed the boat but I am not a member of clubs because I can't attend full day events that aren't on my doorstep (I can manage Perth but haven't seen any there) and I can't/don't drive in the evenings, particularly in the dark and bad weather but generally I'm not very functional at that time due to being up at 4-5am most days.

Half days would be good but ideally across the middle of the day to allow for morning and evening feeds/checks etc, so 10-4 max but 10-2 or 12-4 is fine too.  I can't take in a lot of info in one sitting and have to be able to move about, but an hour or two isn't worth a long journey (and I mean my long not normal people's long!) unless I'm already in the area.

Central is great but meetings are almost always in Stirling at 7pm at night, shows are up north (Thainstone) or over the west (Lanark) and it's just too far for me.  Perth daylight events would be great.

I have lots of interests and no money or equipment budget.  I can do you a list but it'll be very diverse and possibly too much.  If you're focusing on vet talks then chicken diseases/parasites/healthcare would be useful, bearing in mind the average hen is worth less than it's cost taking it to a vet let alone paying a callout for a flock issue to be identified.

Random selection of probably useless ideas:
Cooperatives - machinery ring equivalent for smallholders without tractors, through to workshop size pieces - I'm looking for places to use a wood lathe for turning bowls which is why I think of it but there are more agri items a few might have and others might like to share, livestock trailers for instance?
Sheep basics - health and handling, lambing, shearing..
Spot/knapsack spraying - chemicals, H&S, rotations, timings - I missed treating buttercups as I thought it could be done in May with the ragwort/thistle/docken/nettle chemical mix..
Basic smallholder DIY for middle aged women of a nervous disposition, ie not with 17yo's and long term male farmers please
Trees on the smallholding - alternatives to standard hedging, windbreak planting, toxicity to livestock (eg the new sycamore seed/pony death links - are these relevant to sheep and other livestock or is sheep grazing a solution?), general planting, maintenance, felling/pruning/coppicing.., applicability of existing/forthcoming planting grants to smallholdings..
Commercial fruit and veg growing on a small scale - polytunnel suitability/selection/erection/maintenance, marketing regs, disease/pest management
Preserving and storing methods for small scale growers

That's just random, basically tailored for smallholders rather than large scale farming operations or lifestyle hobby things that recommend expensive solutions/equipment a genuine smallholder can't afford, house or justify.

Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

CarolineR

• Joined Jan 2012
Thanks! Good to know. We've got the Royal Highland show next week and then after that we'll be planning our events so it's great to have your feedback.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS