Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Any wood turners?  (Read 7832 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Any wood turners?
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2014, 09:34:12 am »

I know about getting good tools etc on top, and Jim that has been supervising me is very hot on the need for a top class sharpening thingy (sorry, memory hopeless on names!). 

Oh doesn't turn wood but is making his own bee hives. He has just bought himself a large hardback book that is just about sharpening.  ???  Perhaps it's a man thing  :-J
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2014, 09:23:32 am »
I always thought I had ok tools, then I met someone who showed me how to sharpen stuff properly, I now have much better tools :-) without buying any more :-) sharpening takes time for any tool but is well worth it!

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2014, 09:36:17 am »
I was making perfect planks on Friday ;)  Maybe 2' long, three of them, pitch pine - 2 hours work and I wouldn't have believed the work that goes into making a flat straight piece of wood from what appeared to be a relatively flat straight piece of wood :o

Anyway, I now want a bigger workshop with a band saw and a lathe/thicknessy thingy machine aswell as the lathe and sharpening thingy, an extractor for the dust and a huge store for slow drying all my timber so it doesn't crack from the centre.. ::)

Next week the plan is to turn my 3 short planks, which are all now immaculate 90 degree angles and the same thickness, polished smooth grain and very professionally chalk marked ;) into a small table of some kind - they might have been a cheese board but all that work and I thought it a good idea to add the learning of spindle turned legs before putting my lovely not yet sanded bowl on an equally lovely display table..

After that, maybe time to rip the kitchen out, I loathe it's 1972 style and all the rotten and hanging and otherwise damaged bits enough to enjoy the destruction with a large sledgehammer, and I am thinking maybe solid wood cupboard doors and natural edge wall shelves may be my long term (very long term!) goal!

Why oh why weren't girls allowed to do woodwork and mech/tech classes at school - I hated dom-sci and sewing classes with a vengeance and shelves are so much more useful than a peg bag or a pinny or a half risen, half stuck victoria sponge ::)
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2014, 11:08:23 am »
Definitely sounds as if you have the bug Ellie  :thumbsup:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2014, 12:12:00 am »
That's what I call an addiction, Ellie.  ;D ;D  Love the sound of your planned kitchen. I would have loved handmade wooden cupboards and doors but being someone who can't manage a handsaw, I went for a B&Q flat pack kitchen instead.  :roflanim:

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2014, 01:14:16 pm »
I keep getting a longer shopping list, greater ambitions and need bigger and bigger shed space ::)

Meantime today my 3 short perfect planks became one piece by means of putting holes in the sides and adding wee flattened dowel type thingies called biscuits.  I admit I got confused by the term as I had a cup of coffee at the time due to Jim leaving me unsupervised to do the last 5 holes myself, so I thought I was being treated to a digestive but sadly no ::)  Still, the good news is my gaps and biscuits matched up perfectly well and are now reinforced with yellow glue and wedged into vices til they dry.  The table top is coming along :) but having seen a few more things he's made himself, my ambition levels just keep climbing ;D

PS the kitchen plan is revised to key points with an eye to budget ie I enjoy the demolition part by doing it myself.  The counter gets saved and some nice wee holes drilled in it to become my worktop in the workshop (garage when I empty more of that into the shed which is no longer going to be for hens or, from the looks of it, for apple storage..  Then I wait til January sales and buy carcases from B&Q or similar, invest in a new upright fridge freezer and build around it - having that indoors in addition to the upright freezer in the garage will make winter evening cooking way more fun :)  Doors and occasional shelving (natural edge ones made by yours truly) will be added one at a time and probably cost more than 8x the commercial price but when/if I ever move they will come with me and if I die on the way I'll have them morticed into some approximation of a coffin and take them with me that way ;)

PS i can't use a handsaw either, that's why the machinery is so fabulous, I'm not doing a lot of the physical stuff directly :)

Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2014, 01:33:47 pm »
Ellie, I am envious. What you doing sounds fabulous and interesting and the bonus is that you can make some great stuff for yourself.  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS