Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Shetland Sheep  (Read 8733 times)

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
Re: Shetland Sheep
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2009, 10:08:22 am »
Well. I'm convinced! As only the family and friends will be eating the meat and none of us need large joints I will keep them pure. Really looking forward to getting some now. I was thinking maybe eight to ten ewes on my seven acres (would you reccomend more or less?)
And perhaps a Shetland Sheepdog to keep them in order ;D

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2009, 10:38:21 am »
they will come running to you when you have food these sheep are not stupid. they can be worked with a dog but for a small flock on a small bit of land bucket train.

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2009, 09:14:20 pm »
You have made a very wise choice and they will after they get used to you follow you if you have a bucket in your hand. Ten acres is plenty for eight to ten with lambs its good to be able to change pasture at certain times of the year if you can do that and you will be able to get a lone of a ram when you need one i,m sure. Get youself along to a agricultural show where there are Shetlands on show, you will find the folk very friendly and will make some good contacts. All the very best in your adventure.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

allsortsacre

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2009, 05:38:20 am »
I have to say I love our Shetlands! One hates people, but the other is wonderful. They both came in being scared. Their lambs are also friendly. they are much easier to handle because of their size. I look at full sized sheep and shudder. They are also great because of their naturally short tails clean face and legs, and they can be plucked instead of shorn. We haven't done this as we didn't know about it until they had been shorn, but we may try it next year. When we buy more I will be buying registered sheep. Personal preference really.

When we got our ewe's they had already accidentally been bred to a Romney ram. We were a bit worried as the lambs may have been too big. One ewe was fine, the second we had the vet in for. Both were long labours so we wouldn't voluntarily breed a larger ram to a Shetland.

Some other small sheep are Baby-doll Southdowns, Black Welsh Mountains, and miniature Cheviot around, at least in the US.

Good luck!

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2009, 09:33:27 am »
i have to say im surprised that your shetlands had difficulties. they tend to get on with it quite happily. they are easy to watch they tend to wait untill there is a gap in the rain and give birth then. were these young mums. shetlands always well most of the time only have one lamb their firsttime. as said before they are happy with sires of cheviots and suffolks. your bound to get the odd one that needs support. thou our shetland ram is young and i think he was crying after meeting our cheviots.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS