Author Topic: Beer  (Read 6301 times)

Pigginshelly

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Pinwall Atherstone
    • RED LION PINWALL
Beer
« on: October 17, 2009, 12:53:51 pm »
Hi

We get our Kune Kune tomorrow. I have read that pigs like the odd beer or two (don't we all!) ;). I have looked at the Defra regs and can not seem to find anything that would relate, so thought I would ask on here. Since we own a pub we get a little spillage into the drip trays. (not much because I hate waste, so we are very careful). The question is could I give this to the pigs? Or does it need to be in a sealed container?

Shelly :pig:

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
Re: Beer
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 06:13:40 pm »
I'm wondering whether this is a similar situation to excess food. If it has entered a kitchen then it's illegal to give to pigs. I'm assuming a commercial premises will have to adhere to this too!!

I'm sure someone will clarify shortly!

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 07:16:16 pm »
i would guess they would class it as catering waste.

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 08:23:46 pm »
I think its unlikely to be allowed, but if you live near a brewery you can leegally feed Brewers mash to your pigs and they give it away for free!

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 08:44:07 pm »
The alcohol will be very de-hydrating and may give them long term brain damage, vascular and liver problems

Is the pig for eating (not so much risk of long term damage and flavoured pork!) Oo breeding (impotence!) or as a pet (just an old soak!)
Just dont over-do it...
Little Blue

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 06:38:43 am »
I cant remember which celebrity chefs were involved  but a pig was fed a regular beer ration to see if this improved the flavour.  In fact the meat was less tender than its tee total partner.  The alcohol was thought to have toughened the flesh.

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2009, 12:39:10 pm »
We always give ours a pint the night before they 'go'! :pig: They can down a pint far quicker than any bloke I know!!

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2009, 01:13:47 pm »
We always give ours a pint the night before they 'go'! :pig: They can down a pint far quicker than any bloke I know!!

You should bring them to my local....they'd get a run for their money!!

Mr Pig

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2009, 03:58:28 pm »
There is nothing to the best of my knowledge in the Defra regulations preventing the feeding of ale slops to pigs. At no stretch of the imagination could a bar or a cellar be classified as a kitchen, so carry on.

However, a small cautionary tale. A late friend of mine used to farm in Warwickshire and kept Berkshires and used to have visiting sows to make use of his services (the boar's). One couple arrived and off-loaded their sow from the trailer. The next morning, the pig was decidely off and as the day progressed got progessively more bad-tempered both with the boar and my friend until it got to the stage that he had to remove her from the boar's pen as he feared that she might do serious damage. She continued in this vein for several days and the farmer came close on several occasions to calling her owners and demanding her removal even though no mating had yet taken place. By day 4 her temper was improving and the next day she was returned to the boar and all went normally.

The sow being in-pig, her owners came to collect her and my friend related his strange experience when she had arrived. The couple looked at each other before confessing that they ran a pub and that every day she would get as part of her rations all the ale slops plus the dregs from all the glasses. She must have been in a permanent stupor until arriving at the farm when she suffered a hangover and cold turkey.

So be warned!

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2009, 04:42:02 pm »
Poor pig... surely that qualifies as abuse, even though done in good faith.  Would you give an animal a cigarette, or a shot of heroin?  why is alcohol so different, just because humans make a choice to get out of their heads every so often and think of it as perfectly ok?!
Little Blue

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2009, 07:08:34 pm »
Moderation in all things!

chickenfeed

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2009, 09:22:13 pm »
 :) i have been told by an ex pig farmer of old beer from the local pubs was allways fed to pigs when ever they could get them he belived it was his father also did and his grandfather so its been done for years.

Pigginshelly

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Pinwall Atherstone
    • RED LION PINWALL
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2009, 11:18:03 pm »
Thank you for your advise. I had read that beer slops were enjoyed by pigs in days gone by! My plan was to give the girls a little as a treat occasionally. We are keeping them as pets, but do not want to get them either addicted or tiddly, I just thought I had read they enjoyed the taste. I am very aware we are not to feed anything that has been any where near the kitchen, (and have been re educating the locals regarding the regs many being old farmers or having worked on farms in years gone by when every thing was feed to pigs!) As the girls get a little older I may treat them to the odd half pint occasionally, if they like it.

Shelly

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2009, 07:05:44 am »
Pigsin shelly:     Hilary wants to come and live with you    :pig: :pig: :pig:

Mr Pig

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2009, 09:13:37 am »
It's more common than you think. Until relatively recently, two breweries - Adnams and Shepperd Neame if I recall correctly - maintained their own herds of pigs to consume all the waste products as being more economic than paying for their disposal.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS