Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Difficult to catch/handle sheep  (Read 6984 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Difficult to catch/handle sheep
« on: June 05, 2014, 07:13:55 pm »
I have one ewe that is incredibly hard to catch and work with. Last year she managed to scale the hurdles while the Singing shearer was here and took us an hour or so to re-catch.  This year, i've been bringing her into a small area reguarly with the little flock, rewarding her with some sheep feed/cracker and remaining calm and quiet to try reassure her that going in there isn't all bad.
Today I noticed blowflies showing interest in her rump so tried to have a better look and she kept skipping away. Led them all into the small area but still unable to catch her, the others will stand still and let me do feet/dagging/whatever but this one is a nightmare  :(
Eventually managed to catch her in the shed, popped the rope headcollar/lead on and tied her to the fence, started to look in her fleece, unable to find actual maggots but before I had chance for a proper look she'd lost the nose part of the collar, the neck was tightening and she fell to the floor, more I tried to loosen it, more she struggled, Terrifying.   I'd obviously put it on wrong, despite using it loads of times correctly, feel gutted. Not only because she was slowly strangling but also because now all my hard work of getting her into the safe little area is now ruined and I have a traumatised sheep.
I really don't know what to do at all, am sat in tears, covered in stinging nettle rash and stuck for options. dreading the shearer coming now.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
Re: Difficult to catch/handle sheep
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 07:27:45 pm »
All our sheep bar one are incredibly easy to handle, and some are bordering on tame and will come over for a head scratch with or without a bucket. The bar one (baa) one has lived here since the beginning and has no reason to be so wild (other than genes) but she just remains as scatty as the day she arrived. On one occasion some of our neighbour's sheep broke into our field and we realised that our tame calm sheep are perhaps the unusual ones. The intruders tried to leap our stock fence with barbed wire above and one become entangled and was hanging by the neck. if our wild girl Polly didn't consistently produce great lambs we'd have probably given up on her but we just have to handle her differently. if she's lame close to lambing we have to leave her to it as the stress for her of being caught would far outweigh the discomfort of being lame and we know that hurdles wont contain her so we always get her in the barn first some sheep just shouldn't be haltered I guess. on the plus side, shearers are pretty used to immobilising the most wayward of sheep- some poor sucker manages to shear our neighbours sheep every year- on almost every occasion we gather up our sheep the result is usually pretty unpleasant for them and they still come. wouldn't think todays events will make her any less or any more inclined to toe the line

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 07:36:20 pm »
Thank you.

Just feeling sorry for myself, stiff drink and I'll be ok. Was just a horrible chain of events today, I had my 9 & 7 year old daughters trying to help me (calmly ) and it was in fact them that managed to get her in the shed. I'm a bit short, a bit unfit and no good at tipping sheep and my husband doesn't 'do' livestock so I'm reliant on 'good' goats and sheep to make life happy  :)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 07:47:22 pm »
Don't lose sight of why you keep them, if it is for enjoyment you have them and one sheep is causing you to be upset - my advice would be to replace it with one that does not cause you to be upset.

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 07:49:59 pm »
i'd agree with Me- if we weren't still reasonably agile and able to cope with Polly being hard work she'd have to go

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 07:56:44 pm »
Plums, sorry you have had a bad day.
It seems we all have one wayward sheep.  My problem girl is Penny. She is always the last to have anything done to her because she keeps the furthest away.
I got the girls for their fleece and as pets. Her fleece is rubbish and she doesn't like petting so I have made the decision that she is going.
Just to make you smile, I wanted to do them with Dynamite today to keep the flies at bay until they have been sheared.
OH and I managed to get them all one by one and a good mornings work was done, only to find that I had used the wrong spray and it only contained water.  :(
Guess what we are doing tomorrow morning?  :)
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 08:01:10 pm »
I am so sorry to hear that. My advice is get rid of her, if the other sheep are fine then that's Ok. Whenever I have sheep which are nutters I tend to cull them, because you want easy to handle sheep and not ones which cause trouble. Hope this helps and good luck with shearing
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 08:12:01 pm »
I also have a difficult sheep, She happens to be the boss sheep that leads the rest, when she says get up and graze, they get up and graze, luckily when she says don't bother going in when  "she" calls , the food takes over and they ignore her !!! She then follows them in to see what's going on because she can't see them. This year, so far, she's a bit better, she's 4yrs old now and has been boss for 1-2yrs now since she tackled her mother Mrs Mule and won. You either have to put up or get rid but one of the others may take her place !!!  :fc:

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2014, 08:35:52 pm »
I think the get rid option is one I might consider. I'm friends with the local commercial farmer who has said before what a lovely looking sheep she is, I wonder if she might be easier in a large flock with proper working dogs, proper race/handling equipment/lots of strong lads to do work with her when needed?
Just been out and stroked her on the nose, she's still coming up to me... so long as theres a fence between us.

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2014, 08:47:43 pm »
I had one of these too, she would wait till you had everyone rounded up then take off in the opposite direction with the others following behind, her daughter was exactly the same. The final straw was when I had them all in the stable and just as I went to shut the door she charged and caught me right in the middle of the chest, could hardly move for days.
Anne

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2014, 08:59:03 pm »
Sorry you had such a stressful day.
You may well be right that she'll be less of a 'problem sheep' in a larger flock where there are different handling systems.
In the meantime maybe a different kind of head collar would be safer? I have 'fixed' head collars (horse-type, made from webbing, not sure what the proper term is), they don't tighten and once you tie up the buckle there is no way part of it of all of it can come off (and if it would, it wouldn't strangle the animal).
I got them from Llugwy Farm, they do them in special sizes for all kinds of animal, someone here recommended them in a thread.
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2014, 09:42:12 pm »
I'm going to buy one of those ladyk, sounds perfect for what I need.  I think I literally lassooed today but stupidly had it wrong way when i popped the nose piece over.

Interestingly I just found this thread - http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?topic=38146.msg377337#msg377337  - the sheep in question is a Wiltshire/texel cross.  Seems wiltshires are a bit 'flighty' in nature!
Hoping that the selfshearing atributes will also show themselves, her belly is already bald and she's rooing a bit round the neck, woudl be great if she doesnt' even need rounding up for the shearer!

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2014, 09:56:57 pm »
Our flighty one is called Sylvie.  Every year I say she is going to go...but she gives me lovely twin lambs, is a brilliant, protective, canny and milky mum.  And her daughters are nothing like her in temperament :relief: but still have her attributes.  So she gets another reprieve... ::)
Don't let one bad day get you down, we all have them :hug:

MarvinH

• Joined Oct 2011
  • England
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2014, 11:01:34 pm »
Cant be fun so why dont you do a home kill and eat her?
Sheep

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2014, 01:44:55 am »
Yes we all have one the black sheep of the family so to speak. I have one who was murder but every time she beat me I made sure that it would not happen again. Bigger, higher, handling pen more time spent with her headcollar training feeding her out of my hand and handling her she has a very good fleece a good conformation and gives me good lambs. I like to think it's character. I also have Skinny a thin ewe who is the one that helps me no end with leading the others into pens etc she is ugly often has a shitty backside has no lamb this year but is a valuable part of the flock. I have ones that crowd me when I have a bit of feed in a bucket ones that stay just out of reach others that stays a fair bit away they are all different. I am trying to breed for conformation, fleece quality, hardiness and temperament it's sometimes a compromise as is most things I find. Anyway you come to your own decision and whatever that is will be the right one for you so don't beat yourself up over it. All the best.

Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS