Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep getting her head stuck  (Read 5956 times)

Declan

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Rathfriland, Co.Down
Sheep getting her head stuck
« on: October 16, 2009, 11:43:17 pm »
One of my three sheep has got its head stuck out through the stock proof fencing on a number of occasions usually once a week or so. The head and ears are completely out through the fence. Most times i have to cut her out- occasionally my approach gives her enough encouragement to pull out of the fence herself. It is the same animal every time.

I understand that when I got the field fenced off i used a "stock proof" fence and i am now aware that you can get more specifically sheep fencing with smaller apperatures along the bottom of the fence. The openings in the fence are approx 6 inches square.

Is there anything I can do to her to stop this from happening other than replace the whole fence- approx 300metres total?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Sheep getting her head stuck
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 01:18:41 am »
The orange netting used on building sites is cheap - my friend uses it.  Staple it to the outside of the fence.  Or a roll of the green garden protection netting - £50 a 100 metre roll of 2 metres width and split it in half for a longer length.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Declan

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Rathfriland, Co.Down
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 05:48:42 pm »
Thnkas doganjo- in fact I feel a bit stupid I didn't think of it myself!! :sheep:

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 07:07:02 pm »
run a couple of strands of electric wire at about nose height. up here they used to use a triangler frame around the sheeps necks it stopped them escaping but i bet they are banned now.

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 08:29:11 pm »
Chicken wire on top of the stock netting?

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 08:50:27 pm »
that would cost a lot.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 08:51:17 pm »
That's why I suggested the orange netting - cheap and cheerful
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS