Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: . Wanted NZ's  (Read 3899 times)

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
. Wanted NZ's
« on: June 04, 2014, 02:46:22 pm »
A bit of a long shot here ,
I am after a small breeder set up , 1 buck + 2 or 3 does , around august time , if i get the hutches made by then ?
Llandysul , Lampeter area prefered as i have no transport .
I don't mind if reds , blacks or whites depending on price .
They will be used to provide young for meat  .
Someone in the village has a friend who keeps them but they breed for pets and may not like the idea of me  breeding for meat !
No panic on this though , just seeing if anyone localish breeds them . Cheers Russ

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
Re: . Wanted NZ's
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 03:41:05 pm »
Julie Wall on here breeds them but she is a bit far away from you. BUT she just started a Facebook group for NZ breeders so might have a contact in your area.

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 03:56:12 pm »
Thanks CB , I am not on fb so can't view the page .
Back in 1977 we had a 50 doe breeding set up . All young were taken to a pre arranged meeting point , weighed and payed for , on a monthly basis . There were many people rearing rabbits then . Quite a few had set ups like ours , 50 ish , but some had 250 does , did that die out completely ?

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 05:07:13 pm »
nz are bred for meat so its shame if they dont want you to use them for that.
when we started with rabbits, we were told to get 2 bucks, partly incase one died but also so you could use one against the others daughters.

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 05:23:39 pm »
I think some people show them too , no probs though .
I don't need the 3 does really , the meat is only for me , but the dogs will eat it too . But 2 bucks , for my needs , would just be one  more to feed and house .
I know what you mean though , but 1 buck and 2 does would be more than enough for what i want , and easy to feed on home grown food .

JulieWall

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Cornhill, Banff
    • The Roundhouse
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2014, 09:22:17 am »
Hi Russ, I'll be coming to Coventry in the autumn so I could bring some as far as that if it's any help. If you could bring/borrow a pet carrier or chicken crate and come up on the train I could meet you at the station with them, I'll be there for at least a week when I come down.
If you haven't managed to source any before then do you want me to check back with you and see if you want some before I travel down?
Permaculture and smallholding, perfect partners
http://theroundhouseforum.co.uk/

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2014, 11:00:05 pm »
Hello Julie ,
forgot to look back on here , sorry .
I wouldn't be able to get there from here mate , no money for train and i have dogs that can't be left for a whole day , or more .
It is  a 2 hour+ trip on the bus to get to carmarthen train st , and god knows how long from there on the train to coventry , lol .
Thanks anyway . There will be someone local , 10 miles ish , that has them , and i can sort of arrange transport for that distance .
The move has thrown me completely out of kilter though , so no hutches made as yet , may have to wait until spring now anyway .
No rush really and no money either , all things have to fall into place before i can get them , make hutches , grow food , have money and be settled after the move , like one of those Chinese jigsaw puzzles lol .
Thanks again anyway .

JulieWall

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Cornhill, Banff
    • The Roundhouse
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 10:21:10 am »
No problem, hope you get some nearer to home. I think you're right to wait until you have the hutches sorted, it's too stressful playing catch-up.
Permaculture and smallholding, perfect partners
http://theroundhouseforum.co.uk/

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS