Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: blood test friday  (Read 4650 times)

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
blood test friday
« on: June 04, 2014, 01:59:59 pm »
Finally persuaded vet to come out and look at my Jersey heifers warts.  He reckons she may have an underlying problem which is preventing her from fighting the virus.  Blood test being done on friday.  Slight problem in that Annabelle is the only non halter trained cow I have!!  Havent built my pen and crush yet.  Hoping to run her and one of the other girls into one of the stables and just use a 10 foot gate to squash her still while they take blood!  Wish me luck!!

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
Re: blood test friday
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 02:04:57 pm »
Good luck - hope it all goes well.  :thumbsup:

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 05:13:09 pm »
Good luck! We used a 12ft gate to contain our fully grown lim bull whilst he had a nail pulled out of his foot as we couldn't get to it in the crush, so I'm sure your heifer will be fine :)  :innocent:

shoveller

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 07:50:04 pm »
So you dont mind putting your vet in danger, then?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 10:56:21 pm »
If she's anything like my Jerseys, she'll be fine. 

When Plenty wants to tell me she's upset about something, she carefully lifts a foot (checking that it won't touch me or the bucket as she lifts it), stretches it carefully backwards (checking there's nothing there she'll hit), then ever so carefully places it back down, being so so precise and making sure she doesn't put it on my foot or in the bucket.  :hugcow: 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 07:14:43 am »

When Plenty wants to tell me she's upset about something, she carefully lifts a foot (checking that it won't touch me or the bucket as she lifts it), stretches it carefully backwards (checking there's nothing there she'll hit), then ever so carefully places it back down, being so so precise and making sure she doesn't put it on my foot or in the bucket.  :hugcow:
[/quot

That's really sweet bless her.  :love:

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2014, 07:34:28 pm »
Well vets visit went well yesterday, though outcome might not be so good.  Lovely female vet came out at my request as my Jerseys are better with ladies than gentlemen!!  Annabelle stood quietly behind her gate in the stable, her halo was shining!!  bloods taken, temp and lungs and heart checked.  Its transpires she has a slightly noisy right side to her lungs from pneumonia as a calf.  Wart virus not being fought off due to some underlying problem which should show up in bloods.  Vet is 90% sure 2 of her teats will be badly damaged by the warts which we wont be able to confirm until we can get rid of the warts!! If they are damaged she will have to go in the freezer, also depending on blood results she might have to go in the freezer anyway.  Gutted!

Colgate toothpaste liberally applied to all her warts, there is a chemical in toothpaste, (only colgate) which kills the warts.  Cant say they are reacted to the minty stuff yet!!   :innocent:

Should get results on monday.  praying its not BVD as i have (thought) a clean closed herd from BVD free herd.  Will be growling at my neighbours if it comes up positive.  >:(

Vet totally adored all my girls, which was lovely!!  :)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2014, 02:24:42 am »
Glad Annabelle behaved so well but worried that the vet thinks these warts may have so badly damaged the teats  :o

Keeping my  :fc: that you get the results you hope for, on her teats and also her bloods.  :hug:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2014, 04:43:20 pm »
I seriously worry about my Jersey girls more than my son!!  What is it these girls have that create such a bond??  :love:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2014, 07:14:40 pm »
I don't know but if I could bottle it...

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2014, 10:13:13 am »
Great news, blood results back.  Negative to BVD and all other nastys!!   :excited:

We now need to keep on top of fly problem with the warts and wait until she can fight the virus and the warts go.  We can then look at the udder and see what damage there is.  Hopefully by this time next year she will be wart free and we can make a decision.  Put her in calf or in the freezer.  The latter being a very difficault decision as any Jersey owner will understand.  :cow: :love:

Heres for a fly free, maggot free summer!!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2014, 12:45:54 pm »
Good news so far  :relief:

:fc: all goes well from hereon and there is not too much long term damage to the udder. 

A friend had a 3-teated Guernsey, and reckoned she still produced as much milk; the other quarters made up for the duff one.  It's not a problem if she's not milked by machine. ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS