Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Chance in a lifetime!  (Read 7569 times)

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
Chance in a lifetime!
« on: October 16, 2009, 03:23:09 pm »
OH my stomach is in knots!

had a wee chat with my neighbour - they are thinking of selling their house - they live in the upper flat and i have the lower flat. This might be my only chance to buy it and at some point in the future have one big country house! sadly she won't be selling any of the 5 acres that go with it - so i'll ahve to settle with my little half acre.

Now to speak to the bank - heres hoping they'll see the investment opportunity and give me some money!

What the hell am I gonna do with a 5/6 bedroom house? and that's before i even convert the loft to my games room?!!!!

I've done no work today!!! ;D

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Re: Chance in a lifetime!
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 03:29:12 pm »
ooh, that sounds exciting.  I will keep everything crossed the bank are agreeable.  They do seem to be lending more - they even lent us some (under protest I might add) to buy this ramshackle, in need of much work farm .....so hopefully you will have no bother!!

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 03:29:43 pm »
Start a B&B, perfect! Why is she not selling any of the land? Maybe you can sweet talk her into a compromise?
Good luck with the bank!!  :&>

Snoopy

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 03:45:30 pm »
Grab at it while you can

One thing to consider - would the monthly rent for the place cover the mortgage for you for a couple of years?

The bank manager may be more willing to give money if he can see that money will be coming in every month, and at the end of the day, it is still your property for future integration.

Good luck - hope all goes well, have everything crossed for you  ;D ;D ;D
Living the Good Life and spreading the word

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 04:05:20 pm »
Start a B&B, perfect! Why is she not selling any of the land? Maybe you can sweet talk her into a compromise?
Good luck with the bank!!  :&>

she has horses and stables on the land.

she'd rather keep a home for the horses than one for herself!!! LOL

To be honest, my half acre is plenty for me - for now.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 05:02:59 pm »
If you get to buy the house, see if you can get somthing into the deeds which will give you the first right to buy if she wants to sell the land, whenever that may be. You never know, it might come in handy one day!  :&>

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 05:08:20 pm »
What a great opportunity....Good luck  :)
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

HappyHippy

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2009, 05:44:45 pm »
What the hell am I gonna do with a 5/6 bedroom house?

Have a chat with future mrs sellickbhoy, then fill them with babies  ;)
Given 3 or 4 years they'll be great wee helpers for digging, pulling weeds and collecting slugs  ;D ;D ;D

But it does sound like a fantastic opportunity - if you need an interior designer (who's very good at doing things as cheaply as possible  ;)) just give me a shout ;D

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2009, 05:53:44 pm »
we've had the babies chat - and i think that is the plan

however, i grew up with 5 of us to a room - and the 3 wee'est had to share a double bed!! so, unless she is having 25 of them, i still don't know what we'll do with all the room

once i have it i'll worry about it!!!!

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2009, 06:01:01 pm »
HH, Do your children really, really help in the garden (or anywhere else)? I think even my ducks are more useful there  ::). After all else failed I promised them both the market value of their produce if they manage to do grow anything. When my oldest lost most of her radishes to slugs she said "I won't bother with gardening again". there might be hope for the younger one, if it wasn't for the weeding and watering  ;D

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2009, 06:38:04 pm »
good luck

(with baby in arms and feding at the same time)

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2009, 07:21:55 pm »
If you get to buy the house, see if you can get somthing into the deeds which will give you the first right to buy if she wants to sell the land, whenever that may be. You never know, it might come in handy one day!  :&>

Good advice.....Good luck with the negotiations etc.  ;)
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

HappyHippy

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2009, 07:30:49 pm »
HH, Do your children really, really help in the garden (or anywhere else)? I think even my ducks are more useful there  ::). After all else failed I promised them both the market value of their produce if they manage to do grow anything. When my oldest lost most of her radishes to slugs she said "I won't bother with gardening again". there might be hope for the younger one, if it wasn't for the weeding and watering  ;D
Yeah, they do, really !
They love collecting the slugs eurgh !  :P Makes me sick !
Rebecca, 6, likes weeding (to make the garden clean) and Kaitllin who's 4 is never happier than when she's up to her knees in muck, with a spade in her hand.
They are interested in growing stuff, but only quick cropping stuff or they loose intrest. Both have a huge amount of intrest in the strawberries - I wonder why  ;)
I'm glad they enjoy it and try to make it fun for them, pea wigwams, letting them attack the planters with paint to decorate them prior to planting, also having a planter each they automatically feel in competition with each other and both want to win so they put more into it. I'm hoping it continues for a long time, I've got half an acre earmarked for a market garden type set up in the future  ;) ;D
I also have to admit to making them help in the house  :-[
They both have to tidy their rooms, take turns at hoovering (albeit badly) and Rebecca even feeds the dog and puts away her own washing. In fact, I caught her in the kitchen last night washing down the cupboard doors (I hadn't even mentioned that they were dirty, she just decided off her own back to do it) - she's a wee star  :love:
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 07:35:20 pm by HappyHippy »

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2009, 07:52:25 pm »
Just read in the paper (I dont waste money on it - I recycle them from work!) About a couple from Louisiana USA who 'bought' two children for £108 and a cockatiel.  I dont think the women who swapped them was the mother, was just looking after them (well, supposed to be).
Maybe you could do a deal with a local school or something??!!
(Sorry- abit mean wasnt it!)
Little Blue

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2009, 08:40:41 pm »
I don't mean to make huge generalisations, but I think your success HH may also be helped because you have girls.  If I get my boys to help in the veg patch it consists of them digging the deepest hole possible, filling it up with water, stripping their clothes over and hey presto they're a pair of pigs in a wallow!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS