Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lush grass  (Read 2421 times)

17AndCounting

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Kent
Lush grass
« on: May 31, 2014, 05:53:46 pm »
I have some nice lush grass that I'd like to put my sheep on. It's got a few nettles mixed in but by and large it's just long and green. However I'm concerned that this will cause bloat. I seem to recall someone suggesting that they only be allowed in to graze for a little while until they get used to it.  Is that correct?  How long would you suggest?

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
Re: Lush grass
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 06:10:19 pm »
And get some magnesium buckets in with them.  Too much lush grass can give them staggers/grass tetany and make them scour.  Mag will help combat this.  We don't tend to move them again here, once they're in they're in.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: Lush grass
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 09:38:31 am »
You could strip graze the field, that way you would be able to insure they didn't get overloaded with lush grass and also you could control how much they eat too.
Hope this helps
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS