Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: goat as 'pets' advice  (Read 4305 times)

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
goat as 'pets' advice
« on: May 31, 2014, 08:25:29 am »
This is just a first hint of a thought so bear with me. I would also say that I have no goat experience although I do work a bit with sheep. I have no interest in showing, breeding, milking or eating goats.

Over the years I have met horses that have had goats as companions. Hopefully this was a good arrangement for the goats as well. I have three equines-one a retired pony who has very different dietary requirements to the other two. There are no other horses in sight which means leaving one alone for any length of time is not an option, having grazing dotted around the place makes this tricky. I do not want another little pony-I was only ever meant to have two, this one was sort of dumped on me and I am too fond of him to do much about it. Cross grazing is useful for both the ponies and the goats I would expect.

Would a pair of castrated male goats be an option? I expect a pair rather than a single one. What are the associated costs? I am quite handy at hoof trimming, feed hay year round, have stock fenced paddocks and can easily convert part of the stables to a goat stable.

What breeds are suitably docile and low maintenance? How much would a castrated male/s cost? How easy are they to find? (Central Scotlandish).
Any other advice/opinions?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: goat as 'pets' advice
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 12:18:04 pm »
Golden Guernsey wethers, or possibly some British Saanen wethers - yes two would be better. Size-wise they would compare better with a horse/pony than say a pygmy, fairly calm and will do well on mostly hay and maybe some sugarbeet shreds/oats for maintenance.

A bit late for this year, most of us have now kidded and decided what to do with our boys. Best to get them as kids, so they grow up in your environment and to your system of handling. Of course once they become teenagers they can be a bit of a handful, but with a firm hand should be calming down again.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 07:19:34 pm »
Have pm'ed you  :goat:
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 02:09:34 pm »
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 02:24:57 pm »
Awwwwwww that's fab

I have 24 goats at the mo, love them
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 05:47:32 pm »
http://knlive.ctvnews.ca/depressed-goat-overjoyed-when-reunited-with-donkey-best-friend-1.1845874

if you haven't seen this, you have to  :thumbsup:

well I am obviously feeling somewhat emotional today  :goat:   :horse: 

I dunno, I am still thinking about it and there's a lot to do before next winter for the animals we already have. Also, the little fat one might be going up north for a few months to keep a friends mare company and to take the pressure off me. I am tempted but don't take the commitment of two extra animals lightly-I also have to sow the idea of the idea to the other half..
Thankyou for all of your replies.

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2014, 06:28:53 pm »
Love the video  :goat: :goat: :goat: :love:

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2014, 06:46:10 pm »
Lovely film - so nice to see animals happy - tears in my eyes off out to give mine a hug  :hug:
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2014, 08:24:03 pm »
Mr G and Jellybean, what a great story, showed it to my 10yr old son and he gave me a nice cuddle afterwards  :D

Lord Flynn, can't be sure but don't you live East Lothian?  There's a chap near to us took on about 50 goats from the Jedburgh Deer Farm, he lives near Earlston, a couple I know got some does and kids off him recently for nowt.  He may give you a 'loan' of a couple and would probably take them back if you think it's not for you.  If you're used to keeping ponies then goats would be easy peasy.

Let me know if interested, I could get his details for you.

Goats are fab, but you have to get the right goats.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2014, 10:10:56 pm »
hi Goosepimple, I was last year-am now between Lanark and Biggar on a very windy hill. Would need a CPH number.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2014, 08:21:06 pm »
  There's a chap near to us took on about 50 goats from the Jedburgh Deer Farm, he lives near Earlston,

Is this where the 50 or so found wandering the roads near the border last summer ended up eventually? What type are they?(not buying any, just curious).

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2014, 09:19:38 pm »
Don't know Anke, I don't know him, just someone at the school got goats from him recently and mentioned it.  I think Jed Deer Farm took them from SSPCA but they are closing and looks like they have passed them on.  The couple at the school got some nice goats I think - they don't know what breed they are so I said I'd pop over this week and take a look.  I could get is details if anyone's interested.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS