Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pig fencing please  (Read 2142 times)

jacob and Georgina

• Joined May 2010
Pig fencing please
« on: May 29, 2014, 09:43:08 pm »
Hi all

Just about to start our pig keeping venture was wondering which kind of electric fencing wire is best to use, have seen different methods including tape, rope and galvanised wire was wondering which would be stronger and most practical for a permanent fence? Also would battery Energizer be powerful enough to keep pigs in? Will be using wooden posts with three lines of wire? Thanks in advance

mattjen

• Joined Jun 2010
  • eastington
Re: Pig fencing please
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 09:53:27 pm »
Hi I use the galvanised and rope and I think the rope diesnt do quite as good a job, the pigs seem to touch the bit where the wire is twisting behind but if they touch the galvanised they get zapped everytime,
I only use battery fencer and it seems to keep the buggers in,
Hope this helps,good luck and enjoy
Matt  :thumbsup:

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 10:02:12 pm »
never fitted tape (i install for others) but galv wire sure packs a kick :-) I am told the tape has the advantage of being more visible though!

I assume the electric fence is backed up by a proper perimeter fence somewhere as well in case they get through it? Again only second hand info but i am lead to believe at least initially a pig is as likely to jump through the fence as back from it when it gets its first kick!

good luck  :love: :love: :love: :pig: :pig: :pig: :love: :love: :love:

P6te

• Joined Jan 2012
  • South Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 01:00:42 pm »
I agree with what Bloomer says. It is important that the electric is backup up with 'proper' fencing.  Until they are electric fence trained they are just as likely to run straight through it to get away as they are to back off.  Also remember that as soon as earth (or snow!) is piled upto the electric fence is stops working.

If you don't already own the energiser, mains or battery will do the job.  Just over 2 years ago I purchased a Rutland battery energiser which came with a 2 year warranty. At 23 months it stopped working and thankfully I had registered the purchase with Rutland.  I returned it to them an within 72 hours it was back working again. The moral is to register the purchase and keep original receipt.

Good luck.

Pete
Live for today
Plan for tomorrow

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
  • Hampshire, near Portsmouth
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 01:26:34 pm »
The advantage of rope and tape over wire is that it is much easier to roll up and use elsewhere over and over again, and very easy to tighten and re-tension whenever needed.   Key thing whatever system you choose is to keep all the lines free of mud and vegetation to avoid earthing and loss of charge.

County Dangler

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 04:24:00 pm »
The best thing we did was to add a 30w solar panel and charge controller to the 12v battery. In nearly 4 months we havn't had to stress about topping the batteries up or loss of charge if the fence gets earthed out.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS