Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Managing very small flock without a dog.  (Read 11398 times)

madcat

• Joined Mar 2014
Managing very small flock without a dog.
« on: May 29, 2014, 06:27:24 pm »
I suppose this revolves around the food bucket of desire but how do you cope with sheep that are sulking because you had to do such uncomfortable tasks as foot trimming etc. Does the thought of treats overcome the memory of routine treatments and they follow it anyway.

How tame and cooperative can sheep be encouraged to be . If I ever give up boating I have promised myself I will look into keeping five sheep as fleece pets.

How easy are sheep to halter train. Does one sheep take the role of boss sheep and lead the others, hopefully not into mischief.

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
Re: Managing very small flock without a dog.
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 06:40:08 pm »
One thing that some folk underestimate is a good handling system.

Even without a dog, you can for the most part 'guide' sheep into a corner of a field (assuming you are doing it in small isn fields, and if not. . . . then get a dog!). If you set up a good pen and race system, you can usually minimise the fuss, by at least getting them into a space small enough to grab them with a crook.

Or make friends with someone with a dog.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 06:55:57 pm »
I find the blue bucket is a god send. Mine will come to the bucket no matter what has gone on before. I guess they have short memories.
If I need to do anything to them I put their heads through a noose, made up of plaited bailer twine, which is attached to the fencing. I stear them over to the fence with the bucket and then put the noose around the bucket. When they put their head in the bucket the noose is pulled up over their head.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 06:59:31 pm »
Blue bucket here too!!  I they are way away in the orchard, i let the dog go 'bring 'em in', then we have a race and pen system. Now, the dogs not all that smart and can't do intricate stuff (yet)so he lies down and watches while i bribe them with 'the bucket' and jacobs crackers.  Finally there's one ewe that won't come in, you can see that she really wants to get her head into that bucket but she wont' be watched so at that point I have to tie the hurdle to the gate, turn away and pretend to be pulling out weeds. During this time she'll walk in and I spin round and shut the gate.   

I think with a small flock you can get to know which sheep will let you do what. I have 2 that will stand (untethered) and let me fully shear them, inject them, drench them.  the rest? .... no chance on my own. 
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 07:13:26 pm »
Our small Soay flock are bucket trained .... I think mine must be colour blind  ;D. They don't care about colour of bucket. Just have to shake and shout. They will come running from a couple of fields away if the gates are opened. We then have an area that is set up permanently with hurdles. One hurdle forms a gate. We have a food trough in this area and pour their food in there. They get used to feeding in that area and consider it 'safe' and normal to follow us in there. If they need any treatment, we can then quietly close the gate while their heads are in the trough.

Our Soay are canny and don't forget quickly. We don't take any 'equipment' with us until they are safely locked in and only one person goes down to catch them up. If they see 2 people they know 'something' is going to happen and same if they see us carrying drench bottles, the crook, etc.

Also if anything 'spooks' them and they dash out of that area, we usually give up any treatment plans for that day ..... they have to calm down and takes them a day or so to do that.

Even our supposedly 'wild' Soay are relatively tame. In fact I wouldn't want most of them to be any tamer .... already have a couple that jump up you like dogs. Guess you wouldn't want a bigger/heavier breed to be even that tame.

Our friendliest ewes lead the others in to the catching area. Not sure who is boss exactly out of our flock.

We only had one attempt at halter training. They didn't approve but they were older when we tried. Lambs may have given in more graciously.

HTH ;D

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 07:55:14 pm »
Mine also come when called, to a bucket. They don't care what colour it is either. My dog is too old now to gather sheep.

I have a long 'catching pen' which leads into a short one, and then that empties into a race, which runs back along the side of both pens and empties back into the top of the long pen.

When I call them, I have already scattered food into the short pen, which they know. So they run into it, I shut the long pen gate to the field, push them down into the short pen, and sometimes then through into the race, depending what I'm doing.

The pens and race are made of wooden hurdles, tied with baler twine to wooden fence posts knocked into the ground.

Mine are Shetlands - I can gather them once a fortnight, perhaps once a week for a couple of relatively-untraumatic things. Any more often than that and they get wise and wary.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 08:39:44 pm »
Ours are bucket led.    They'll turn up to the drop of a bucket handle...let alone the colour of a bucket lol x
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 09:18:39 pm by Hellybee »

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 09:00:20 pm »
ours are bucket trained and whistle/call trained. in the early days i'd always whistle and call when the bucket was on offer and now they just come running even if i'm in the garden calling the dogs. it is amazing that pretty much every time we gather them in its unlikely to be a pleasant experience for them, hooves trimmed or something foul tasting shoved down their throat but they keep coming back . I do think that smaller flocks are just a less stressful environment at gathering up time. my neighbour who has hundreds of sheep seems incapable of gathering up without dogs barking, people shouting and swearing  and quad bikes beeping- terrible bloody racket.- or maybe thats just him !!!

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 09:17:52 pm »
Of the 130 adults we have here only 30 are the original flock, so most have known nowt different, even the old birds are total converts lol, and the lambs know the score too :)

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2014, 10:37:05 pm »
My lot all come running every time I go and call them.  Except Sylvie ::) , who has always been a wary, canny beastthat leads her lambs away.  But I know, and she knows, that eventually I'll get her ;) .  I have 3 of her ewe lambs and none behave like her :relief: .

The downside is that they were easy to steal from the field :'(

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2014, 10:48:36 pm »
Like the previous replies, I have always called and rattled a bucket and mine come running no matter what is in store or has been done previously. I just think that they are very food orientated, they are not so happy if no food, however little, is given when they get there. I  have mostly had mixed breed ewes I did have two Jacobs at one stage, amongst 30ewes and they always would hang back and take a couple of others with them in the wrong direction !!! By the time they were 8yrs old they fell in line !!!!!! :relief:

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2014, 07:20:20 am »
I now have around 60 sheep on the ground in various places

When I had maybe 10-20 they used to come to a bucket most of the time, but as I dont feed them now and sometimes only see them once a week to count from a distance, there is only maybe 4 that would still come to a bucket.

I cant drive into some of my land and its difficult getting hurdles there, I have a lamb with a bad foot, first spotted 2 weeks ago and I still have not been able to catch it, round three is coming up this weekend, any mountain climbers and hill runners out there? or just someone with a well trained hill dog

Next buy will be a fully trained but near retirement dog, well I think thats the best option anyway  ???

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2014, 07:28:34 am »
My old  boss used to say if you cant catch it the foot isn't that bad!!  :innocent:
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2014, 07:30:35 am »
My old  boss used to say if you cant catch it the foot isn't that bad!!  :innocent:

Yup thats what I have come to think now  :-J Theres no way I am free falling off a ledge to catch the thing! hopefully he just mans up and gets over it

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2014, 07:44:44 am »
YES!!!  while we were on holiday the lovely lady called to say I had a lame sheep...but she couldn't get close enough to check it...that was all the reassurance I needed  ;)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS