Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Phew - last lamb  (Read 2163 times)

Treud na Mara

• Joined Mar 2014
  • East Clyh, Caithness
  • Living the dream in Caithness
Phew - last lamb
« on: May 29, 2014, 12:38:48 pm »
Our first was 22nd March and we've only had 19 altogether! Next year will be different as we will be in control of the tupping period. Never mind. It was a bit anxious to start with as the ewe, a Jacob, prolapsed on Tuesday evening. Our crofting angel came and sorted her out and put a stitch in as the prolapse wasn't staying in. So it's been a couple of days with the alarm set to half an hour before dawn for the first check. Mucous this morning about half seven so I cut the stitch and waited and waited. Things moved very slowly and we had be warned assistance might be required. So about quarter past ten I started to guddle around inside as there was only one hoof showing after about three quarters of an hour of thrutching one the ewe's part. And there was the other leg with the hoof bent back. So I managed to pull it forwards and out. Big tup lamb with a huge head so no wonder progress was slow. So now I feel that I really am making progress as a livestock keeper! Couldn't have managed without our angel. Many thanks due to the Crofting Federation for introducing her to us. Interesting our angel said she's seen a lot of prolapsed this year which she reckons are down to over feeding - everyone has been feeding as usual but because of a much milder winter it has been a bit too much and maybe for too long. Anyway all is well for now - mother and son relaxing in the sun !
With 1 Angora and now 6 pygmy goats, Jacob & Icelandic sheep, chooks, a cat and my very own Duracell bunny aka BH !

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
Re: Phew - last lamb
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 01:02:00 pm »
Well done TMN,  :thumbsup: :sheep:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 01:13:01 pm »
Well done and glad that your last went relatively well in the end  :thumbsup:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 01:56:02 pm »
Also prolapses can be related to low calcium in ewes. A good lush grass cos its started growing early has a fair bit of calcium in, so the ewes don't start using calcium from the bones ready for lambing. Low calcium in the blood can lead to weaker muscles, including the ones holding the cervix in place and the uterus when it comes to having contractions. I've seen one or two farms with prolapses and ewes not really opening up ready for lambing this year, likely related to low calcium because of the climatic conditions. One of those things, other years lambing problems can be due to too much snow and no grass!

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 03:55:51 pm »
Well done and good luck to you. One of my sheep produced a massive ram lamb this year and he has grown even bigger, in fact he is so big he only needs two more months before I can kill him, however seeing as his mother is not a pure Lleyn we are selling them both, and a few others, with lambs at foot, as we only want the cream of our pure flock to be kept.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Treud na Mara

• Joined Mar 2014
  • East Clyh, Caithness
  • Living the dream in Caithness
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 10:52:27 pm »
Poor ewe prolapsed again and straining against a new stitch. Advice from local farmer was to have her shot however vet came and reckoned it worthwhile to give her another chance - with more expert internal embroidery and AB and anti-inflammatory. So fingers crossed we won't have another pet lamb. :fc:
With 1 Angora and now 6 pygmy goats, Jacob & Icelandic sheep, chooks, a cat and my very own Duracell bunny aka BH !

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS