Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pigs dilemma  (Read 1713 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Pigs dilemma
« on: May 28, 2014, 03:24:37 pm »
As some of you will know from my Facebook postings, I sadly decided the Kune Kunes would have to go.  I was supposed to move off the land they are on, as someone with horses was coming on - and did not want to move there while the pigs were still around. 

I have other land, but ponies and goats on there, and some of it is rented, and owner would definitely now want pigs rooting her paddocks up.

Have had a few people wanting them  ....well, by wanting them, its on their terms.  I said I would split them into two pairs.  Some people only want one pig as that's all they have room for  (no other pigs kept).  How can you only have room for one pig??  There is no way I would let a pig go and live on its own.  And, they wanted it for nothing, and expected me to take it there - 80 mile round trip.  You can imagine my reply!!

Then I had someone wanting three (the larger three).  Which would leave me with the diddy one - and the one pig dilemma, and what would I do with one pig?!!  I suspect she was buying for a third party - who was going to sell them for freezers.  Well, not buying exactly, she wanted them for nothing.  I got a bit mad
about this - I have fed them - and they look well - and then she comes along and makes money out of my pigs  (yes, some of you may say good luck to her, if I don't want them!)  but all the same .....

I was only asking a small price, rather than free - where you just get any old body sometimes, who then sells them on.  But round here, there are pigs galore going for nothing.  Someone has a Kune Kune boar that's free (it was dumped at their farm).

I really like the pigs, and if I could contain them in a small area (which I am finding impossible at the moment) then I would keep them, and risk them going to the other farm.

Would normal electric fence tape keep them in?  And how many strands, and at what height?

Also, two have lost their ear tags - do I get tags with my number on?  And if so, where is the best place.?

Would I need a movement licence to go to my other farm?  Don't for the sheep and goats as its just within 5 miles  (although I am going over a County border!)

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: Pigs dilemma
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 02:39:47 pm »
Hiya Roxy
Don't do FB but for what its worth............. if same CPH number no AML, just move them.
If they're not used to electric contaiment might be dificult to get them used to it. Sure somebody will be along to advise poss HH as she keps KK's (PM her) about lec fencing.
Hope you can keep them, theres some useless pillocks about and i'd rather put mine to sleep than they go to crap owners, i'm sure prospective owners think i'm the gestapo or Spanish inquisition when they come to buy off me!
all best
Mandy :pig:

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
Re: Pigs dilemma
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 03:23:51 pm »
Sounds about typical, everyone wants something for nothing these days! And I quite agree you wouldn't want to send one on their own.
Our kune kunes are kept in with just electric fencing. After a few shocks, being very intelligent pigs, they are very wary of it, and even when the electric is off (and even when the fence is removed because we need to move them!) they will not cross the line of the fence. Ours have two strands of the thin wire, at about 6 and 18 inches above the ground.
I think it would be worth you trying an electric fence on them, and if you're happy, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to contain them in a part of the field at the new place just with electric.
Good luck

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS