Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 4374 times)

TG

• Joined Oct 2009
Introduction
« on: October 15, 2009, 01:57:17 pm »
This is my first post on this board although I have been reading and picking up much advice from other posts over the last six months.

We have a couple of acres of garden in North Staffordshire and started with a few chickens (now around 20) however  I had always wanted to have a go at raising pigs so back in May we bought two male OSB weeners. These went into the freezer at the end of August. Maybe I was lucky but they were very easy to look after, good fun to raise and they taste great so and I am now looking forward to the next ones.

We don't have a huge amount of space ( we have an area of trees about 90 sq meters for the pigs). What I was hoping to try next was perhaps get three gilts, keep one for breeding in the future and take the other two to market at about 6-7 months and replace with another couple of weeners. I don't want to take single pigs to market nor leave the reamining one on its own. The question is can anyone advise if I am likely to have any problems introducing the weeners to the older female ?

TG

• Joined Oct 2009
Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 02:09:12 pm »
oops - that should read 900 sq meters

sandy

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 10:23:12 pm »
Hello and welcome, we only have chickens and Ducks but my mouth is watering all ready at the thought of that Pork!!!!! I also love pigs, off to see my daughters pig tomorrow!!!!! Enjoy the advice, help and chat!!!

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 09:22:13 am »
In my experience introducing anything new to an established group will result in some fighting.  To avoid serious damage if you can introduce them slowly, i.e. with a fence between then open the fence after a couple of weeks that would be better.  If not it is better to put the incomer into a new field then introduce the established group. 

« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 04:28:43 pm by Hilarysmum »

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 11:18:17 am »
Many sows will accept younger pigs but not always, I have stock fencing between my pens which helps to know who likes who! If you were to introduce a couple of little weaners I would guess they would be ok, particlularly if you are keeping a weaner to breed from she would still be young herself,  of course expect a pecking order to establish, but they do like company and would soon settle.
Sorry forgot to hello and welcome! how rude of me!

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 05:52:44 pm »
Hello & welcome to the forum  ;D
I can't really offer much advice as I've only had weaners for meat, they all come and go at the same time so I've not had the problem of introducing new stock, sorry.

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2009, 08:37:55 pm »
Can't answer your question, but welcome to the forum!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 02:31:37 pm »
Hi and welcome!

TG

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009, 12:53:21 pm »
thanks to all for responses.

I will bear the advice in mind. I need to get moving with this.... can't contemplate running out of pork and having to buy some from Tesco ! Raising in small numbers and feeding organically is not the cheapest option but that was not why we do it and the result is worth it. 

Thanks again.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 07:59:21 pm »
Hello and welcome from Derbyshire (not too far away!)
Little Blue

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2009, 08:48:33 pm »
hiya :)

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2009, 10:02:15 pm »
Hi, welcome from fife

Snoopy

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2009, 09:51:17 am »
Hello and welcome from the West of Ireland

Julie ;D
Living the Good Life and spreading the word

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS