Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: worming advise pls  (Read 2385 times)

10thletter

• Joined Jan 2014
  • Witton
worming advise pls
« on: May 28, 2014, 10:07:01 am »
Hi,

Worm query

My 3 weaners are 16weeks and 2 of them have worms.  Long spaghetti like things over the past week.  They are eating fine still but they aren't putting on weight as fast as they were.  I know the sow was treated a few weeks before farrowing.
I’m going to treat the weaners now for the worms they have. 

I can’t move them off the land they are on, so I guess I have 2 options. 
1)   I was wondering whether to feed them Verm-x which you can mix into their feed for a week every month, as a ongoing treatment
2)   Just treat for worms as they appear (hopefully they won’t again) and give them a final worming dose a few weeks before they go to the butcher
They will go off to the butcher as soon as they are up to weight.

What’s everyone say!

HappyHippy

Re: worming advise pls
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 03:50:03 pm »
Forget Vermex  ;)
Ask your vet to draw you up an injection of wormer for them (you'll need to know their approximate weight) and jab them, it's relatively quick and painless (do it as their heads go down for food, just behind the ear) - this way you know without doubt that each one has had the correct dose and the treatment will be effective.
It's also worth bringing them onto concrete so it's easy for you to lift and dispose of the infested poo, but I guess if they've been in the field already it's not going to make much difference now unfortunately.
HTH

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 05:09:54 pm »
Be aware too that there are withdrawal periods involved so you can't put a pig into the food chain that's been wormed recently. And yes, forget vermex it's completely useless.

10thletter

• Joined Jan 2014
  • Witton
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 08:42:10 pm »
Ok thanks.  Vermex out the window then!
Here goes for the jabs!

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 02:43:46 pm »
Most jabs carry a 56 day day withdrawal peiod so check with your vet but sounds like thats what these pigs need. We only use in feed wormers for the rhino skinned older pigs!
Mandy :pig:

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2014, 05:23:47 pm »
this highlights the reason to worm the pigs on day of purchase and not presume the breeder has done it. a little pig is much easier to inject and it should last until slaughter time. get them behind a gate or in an enclosed space so they dont take off with the needle still attached  ::)
our vet advised panacur in the feed at a different doseage to sheep but injections deal with creepy crawlies aswell.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS