Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Yummy new ingredient in pig feed.  (Read 1541 times)

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
Yummy new ingredient in pig feed.
« on: May 28, 2014, 09:08:07 am »
Just been reading the Pig site newsletter and scientists are looking into a new sustainable ingredient for pig feed. It is Defatted micralgal biomass, it is a by product from biofuel production. Doesn't it sound just yummy, I wonder how big they will print that on the pork labels in the supermarkets.
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Yummy new ingredient in pig feed.
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 09:50:01 am »
Sounds slightly better than the spray-dried porcine plasma (blood from the abattoirs to you and me) that they've been putting in pig feed in the US which, as I understand it, may have spread Porcine Epidemic Diarrhoea virus through the national herd and helped lead to 7 million pigs dying!

HappyHippy

Re: Yummy new ingredient in pig feed.
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 03:59:50 pm »
When will they learn  :rant: :rant: :rant:

It's amazing though, what exactly some of these terribly ambiguous names on label actually are ! Currently most people who use mass produced lip balm are smearing 'waste' from petroleum production over their lips......

I suppose 'defatted micralgal biomass' could be veggie oil that's had all the fat and 'useful' (in terms of biomass) stuff taken out........similar to veggie matter  ???  But I suspect it'll end up being like the corn syrup which is being fed to fattening cattle in the US, great for bulking them up, so long as you don't mind the stomach ulcers which would eventually kill the animals if they weren't being slaughtered for human consumption.  :rant:

"You are what you eat" - applies to humans and animals........I'll maybe stick to my grass reared pork  :innocent:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS