Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Off level henhouse?  (Read 3303 times)

UPoneacre

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Llanidloes, Powys
Off level henhouse?
« on: May 28, 2014, 08:29:07 am »
I know - you'll all laugh as this is going to sound daft but I've got to ask, anyway :D

We've put up our new small henhouse in the orchard but wherever it goes it's on sloping ground so it's off level either way and is leaning over - not a great deal, but noticeable. Apart from irritating me, the question is does it matter to the hens? Our (first) three only arrived two days ago so haven't yet fully settled in and one is still finding the ladder up to the roost box a bit of a challenge as it's about (best guess) 45 degrees. Are we going to have unhappy hens?

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
Re: Off level henhouse?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 08:31:43 am »
why not just chock up one end on blocks of wood?

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 08:33:53 am »
The ladder to ours is quite steep and the hens manage fine but I agree with bloomer, why not put somthing underneath to level it up a bit. I know seeing it like that would drive me mad  ;D .
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
  • WARNING,,,MAY SAY WHAT HE BELIEVES
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 09:29:54 am »
as said above, chuck some blocks under the legs and also dig out where the ladder touches the ground, so its level

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 10:29:43 am »
Love the diagram John  :thumbsup:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 10:38:15 am »
I fix this all the time get a spirit leval jack 1 side up whith a car jack cut out whots needed or ad a board till right .You need it to lean a bit for the rain to come of .   

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 10:49:29 am »
why not just chock up one end on blocks of wood?

I am sure you mean "chook up".  :roflanim:

My hen house is a bit jaunty - they seem to like it.  Just a question of time I guess.

UPoneacre

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Llanidloes, Powys
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 01:29:59 pm »
John - love the sketch - might have to print it off and slide it under OH's dinner plate tonight so she gets the idea ;D
If nothing else it looks as tho' our 'girls' will have strong legs!
The problem with our henhouse is that I can see it from the office window every time I look out - no doubt I'll have to do something about levelling it up . If I chock up the house do I chock up the chooks as well? (TIC)

waddy

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2014, 02:28:39 pm »
We have a moveable one with a moveable run on a slope so always a bit leaning. Not noticed the hens complaining.

:thumbsup:
Helen

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 03:04:30 pm »
Problem we've had with coops not perfectly level is rain soaking in through the sides. Instead of dripping onto the floor mostly, it always runs down the boarding which gets wet, expands and splits ultimately.

UPoneacre

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Llanidloes, Powys
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2014, 10:16:11 am »
Ah; that's another problem I've found as well. On our house the nesting box is hung on the outside and the hinged roof wasn't weatherproofed where it hinges against the main roosting box wall so rain has been getting in. Now sealed, but the house being on the tilt has meant that it's effectively reduced the pitch of the nest box roof so rain isn't running off as freely - I'm going to have to do something about that soon - another job for the list ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS