Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Flock Health Plan?  (Read 3782 times)

georgielmgm

• Joined May 2014
  • 17, starting small with my 8 ewes
Flock Health Plan?
« on: May 27, 2014, 10:13:14 pm »
Just started the ball rolling towards getting my first sheep by applying for my CPH, have been doing some research on getting started with sheep (I have experience with lambing and general care) and see a few people mention meeting with my vet to discuss a 'Flock Health Plan'? Wondering whether this is still the done thing if I'm only looking at having half a dozen sheep? Other people's experiences? Thanks in advance!

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
Re: Flock Health Plan?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 10:33:14 am »
My vet practice is very helpful - several of the vets keep sheep themselves, and we get a great service from them.  Advice over the phone is always free, and taking a sheep to the practice is cheaper than a call-out (about £40 here).
They suggested working up a flock plan but the charge was £££ - I think the sum of £250 was mentioned.  So that never happened, I'm afraid. 
Basically, you need to work out an annual calendar and work out what needs doing, and when - tupping, meds, FEC's, lambing, worming etc. (not in that order though :roflanim: ).
Best of luck with your sheep, they are addictive ;D

Slimjim

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Devon
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 02:56:18 pm »
I agree with bramblecot that you will find it useful to jot down the main activities for the forthcoming year and beyond. I haven't involved my vet either on cost grounds. There is enough information around to do it yourself. I also keep a stock diary to record all significant events that occur and it is very helpful the following year to compare when certain things happened. If you are as anal as me you might also keep a record of the money you spend on everything connected to your sheep. But beware....it will be much much more than you initially thought !! Good luck with it all.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 03:09:15 pm »
Yep, definitely worth doing.  It helps you plan your jobs during the year too, so you don't forget stuff!  It ends up to be more of a calendar really

You can probably glean a fair bit from the internet ... I think I started off looking at these:
http://hccmpw.org.uk/medialibrary/publications/Sheep%20Health.pdf
http://www.smallholderseries.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=170:sample-flock-health-plan&catid=29:sheep&Itemid=141
and then fleshed it out as the year progressed.  I think I tweek it every year, depending on the weather etc - e.g. trying to time fluke doses so that they dont clash with vaccinations or worming etc etc.

I think I started with a tupping date, and then worked everything out from there. Work backwards for weaning and ewe and ram flushing dates, and any pre-tupping mineral drenches, and fluking ... then work out your lambing date from that and work backwards from that to pin point when you need to booster-vaccinate and worm the ewes.  Then work forwards from lambing for lamb vaccinations, worming etc.  Yes, once you start it will snowball ;)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 03:23:34 pm »
I second foobar. It helps to clarify what needs to be done when - I too start with tupping and work forward and back from there.

One thing our vet suggested to include is how you will isolate sick animals / new additions to the flock and what biosecurity measures you will have in place.

georgielmgm

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 04:28:10 pm »
Thanks everyone, that's been really useful, something to think about in the intervening period between now and getting them!  :D Slimjim looks like I've found someone similar to me! Had considered keeping track of all outgoing money but wondered if it was too anal and not really the done thing! Your post has convinced me it's ok!  :excited: Does a 1 year A4 diary book work ok? Exciting times! Thanks again!

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 05:14:58 pm »
Recommend Tim Tyne's sheep book to start you off.  I differentiate between things needed for this batch of sheep (wormer, feed, Clik and so on) and items which will last years, if not decades, like hurdles, buckets, hayracks and so on (most of which, incidentally, will pretty well maintain their value if you decide to sell them later).  Used to be you could kit out at farm sales - worth keeping an eye open in your area.

georgielmgm

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 08:56:16 pm »
Second person to recommend, glad that I already have it on order! From America, since it was sold out or about £30 off Amazon in the UK, but should be here well before any sheep arrive  :thumbsup: Also have Eddie Straiton's Sheep Ailments book, bit towards the veterinary side of things but makes interesting reading regardless. Thanks for the farm sales tip!

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2014, 09:02:35 pm »
I think it's important to record all of your spending, as it gives you a realistic idea of how much it costs you to produce your meat etc. Also at the end of the year you can sit down and work out where your min costs are and see if you can reduce them.

If you do go shopping at farm dispersal sales etc, make sure you go with an idea of the worth of things. I was at one recently. Picked up a few bits for half their value. . . . but also watched keen (and new) folk pay twice as much for things as their new value!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS