Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Elderflowers!  (Read 7707 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Elderflowers!
« on: May 27, 2014, 06:53:29 pm »
Hi guys
All the elderflowers are in bloom now and I was wondering now that the elderflowers are out, what are everyones thoughts? I was looking on the bbcgoodfood website and found this recipe, it sounds yummy.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/frozen_elderflower_07251
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Treud na Mara

• Joined Mar 2014
  • East Clyh, Caithness
  • Living the dream in Caithness
Re: Elderflowers!
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 08:30:56 pm »
Elderflower champagne every time - see the brewing strand for recipes, also cordial for the under age! So jealous - we only planted our in November so it'll be while before we can harvest our own. But I will be out on the forage soon!
With 1 Angora and now 6 pygmy goats, Jacob & Icelandic sheep, chooks, a cat and my very own Duracell bunny aka BH !

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 10:34:06 pm »
Yummy, sounds delicious.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 10:48:57 pm »
Cordial and champagne - once the rain stops. Once they're done, maybe I'll try some new and exciting things!

Somewhere_by_the_river

• Joined Dec 2013
  • Near Llandeilo
    • Angela French Graphite Artist
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 09:11:26 am »
Definitely gallons of cordial, great added to anything with gooseberries in particular (gooseberry fool always good). I want to experiment with adding it to cakes this year too.. that's if OH doesn't drink it all as soon as I make it like last year!  ;)

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 09:20:56 am »
Champagne and cordial. The latter freezes well and gives a taste of summer in the depths of winter.  :)

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 09:56:51 am »
Elderflowers are nice in herbal tea; also mixed with mint and/or verbena. That way you can get the flavour without having to ingest tons of sugar...

LouiseG

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Appleby-in-Westmorland
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2014, 09:23:07 pm »
I've just made gooseberry and elderflower muffins.  :excited: :excited: :excited:  they are very yummy
So many ideas, not enough hours

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2014, 09:51:42 pm »
Sounds good, could you post the recipe please?
Thanks
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

LouiseG

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Appleby-in-Westmorland
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2014, 10:21:03 pm »
Gooseberry and Elderflower Muffins
150g plain flour , 1 level 10ml spoon Baking Powder, 1/4 tsp salt
sift the above together
1 egg, 40g caster sugar, 30mls milk, 75ml elderflower cordial, 50g butter (melted)   
whisk the wet ingredients together
top and tail 225g + 18 extra gooseberries
sieve the flour mix again onto the wet ingredients and fold in quickly and carefully for no more than 15 seconds. Do no stir or mix and don't worry if some lumps are left.
Quickly fold in the 225g gooseberries and then put mixture into 6 or 7 muffin cases in a muffin tin.
Gently press 3 gooseberries into the top of each muffin and sprinkle with some Demerera sugar.
Bake for 30 mins
Only makes 6 or 7 but they are quick and easy and wouldn't keep well if you were to make lots :thumbsup:                                                                                                                                 
So many ideas, not enough hours

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2014, 09:45:34 am »
Thanks for posting the recipe. I will try and make them myself soon. :yum:

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2014, 05:45:06 pm »
lovely thread  :)
I always make cordial and dry some for winter teas. Ours isn't quite there yet, I can't wait!  :&>

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2014, 05:04:33 pm »
I made some cordial the other day and it is very nice. Now I need to make some elderflower chamagne. I have never made elderflower chamagne before, does anyone have any advice? :wave:
Thanks

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2014, 09:32:23 pm »
sorry,can't help with a recipe -  I only got drunk on some homemade elderflower champagne as a student and I thought I was about to die....treat with caution and moderations as elder is a potent medicine for colds and flu! Racing heart and feverish flushes in cases of overdose  :innocent:

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2014, 08:27:54 am »
I'm just starting the first batch of cordial today as there are finally 30 heads flowering, and hopefully lots more to come and enough to leave for berries later too :)

I don't think of it as just for kids as an alternative to grown up champagne at all..  In fact when I'm working and need hydration or tired and need a bit of a lift, it's just sweet enough and refreshing enough to avoid reaching for a biscuit, so I think of it as a health food even not knowing about the flu remedy part til now :)

I'm tempted to try my first batch of ice cream with a bit of EC in it later on, but I've not made the cordial yet (my first batch of nettle is going down fine tho so fingers crossed!)..
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS