Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cash Poultry Killer  (Read 7201 times)

sanman

• Joined May 2009
Cash Poultry Killer
« on: October 15, 2009, 09:15:03 am »
Does anyone have experince of using a Cash Poultry Killer?  If so what's your views, are they worth the money?

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
Re: Cash Poultry Killer
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 09:23:51 am »
unless you have passed the poultry slaughtermans course you cant use that type of equipement. the only types that lay persons are allowed to use are neck dislocation and the old chopping the head off, neither of which are perfect. but with the head off you know they are dead.

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 10:31:21 am »
Mark, are you looking for advice on despatching the turkeys?. I can ask local farmers what they do for relatively small quantities. I can show you what we did for quick effective despatch of batches of 6 - 10 birds. It's not a pleasant job, but as quick and as stress free as we could make it. I could ask paul to show you a few tricks of the trade. He cares for his birds and despatches them in a way he has practised to be very good at. he will also advise you on plucking, drawing and de sinewing the birds. I can show you what I have been taught on chickens if you like.

sanman

• Joined May 2009
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 01:33:51 pm »
Hi Carl

That would be very much appreciated!

Cheers
Mark

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 09:15:03 pm »
i use a wall mounted dispatcher, its like a very blunt guillateen, it does all birds easy but with geese turkeys you need someone to hold the bird while you close the jaws with 2 hands. it is also perfectly legal and was in a PP Mag and ive often used it is the use of an air pistol at point blank range under their chin aiming into the brain area, clean quick and works well, the pellet goes in under the chin and out though the top of their head which aids bleeding. you hold the bird so the top of the head is on the soft ground and chin upwards so the pellet ends up in the dirt... theres no pleasant way to kill a bird.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 08:13:31 am »
harry i use the dispatcher and i realy dont like it. i much preder the old hatchet. very quick and very dead but also rather bloody. i take it the birds you shoot are for your use.

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 04:34:17 pm »
yes my use.... i didnt like the look of the hand held dispatcher i got the heavier wall mounted on . one pull and its dead, just used it again, i like it. i also use a meat cleaver but its a bit bloody with the bird writhing and flapping blood all over my trousers. Could always try that hammerfore ive got. ;)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 04:36:10 pm by harry »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS