Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Shooting fish in a barrel  (Read 3555 times)

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
Shooting fish in a barrel
« on: May 22, 2014, 07:53:46 am »
We have a bin in our carport to encourage us to clean the mountains of crap out of our cars once in a while.

This evening when we got home, we heard a rustling in the bin. Closer investigation saw a rat that had fallen in and couldn't get out.

I fetched an air rifle and with a friend holding a torch, I killed it but trying to hit a panicking rat meant that the first shot wasn't in the best place (but injured it enough to allow me a point blank headshot, with another one to make sure).

I don't particularly like rats but still feel a bit bad about killing it (like shooting fish in a barrel!). How would you have dealt with it?
sussexforestgarden.blogspot.co.uk

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
Re: Shooting fish in a barrel
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 07:57:42 am »
i dont have a gun i live in a town, id have hit it with a spade or a big stick!!!

then worried about what to do with the body...

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 08:15:47 am »
I would have chopped it on the neck with a spade - assuming it wasnt jumping around. 
If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 10:25:07 am »

A number of years ago we kept our feed in a big plastic dustbin. Although it was summer there was still some leftover feed in the bottom.  One day I looked in and found a very dead rat, and lots of bits of rat.  We worked out that several had got in - large hole chewed in the lid - then not been able to get out, so had eaten eachother  :tired:   I think you shooting your rat was a rather better fate than those rats had.

Needless to say after that we invested in a couple of large metal bins so every kind of feed including wild bird seed can be kept safe.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

NicandChic

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 11:36:11 am »
I'd of just let it go.

midtown

• Joined Oct 2013
  • English Lake District
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 11:56:38 am »
How would you have dealt with it?
Most probably by letting the terrier sort it. Very quick and efficient. :)
In the barn, and out of reach of the dogs, then the air rifle is the first choice. :thumbsup:
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.  ~Douglas Adams

Tala Orchard

• Joined Nov 2012
  • North Cornwall
    • Tala Orchard
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2014, 02:07:26 pm »
Have had the same thing happen I used a electric fence post and speared them, disposal is by nature let a rook or other scavenger clean it up, making sure it is out of reach of the dogs.
Pigs are human tooo

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2014, 02:09:33 pm »
We have this now and again,  I just drop in the Terrier and it's dead in an instant

NicandChic

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2014, 02:45:54 pm »
Wouldn't it be better to feed it some poison to take back to its family! I wouldn't waste my time on just one  :-J

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2014, 03:17:14 pm »
I'd have just tipped it out to the dogs.

I have absolutely no compassion for them. Death on sight, a long with grey squirrels, magpies etc.

Fleecewife - They really are cannibalistic bastards, a lot of the ones I catch in fenns have been part eaten by the time I check the traps in the mornings.

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2014, 03:26:50 pm »
I was tempted to let the dogs have a go but no guarantee they would have caught it and could have got bitten.

I think I'll set my trap up on the off chance any others wander by
sussexforestgarden.blogspot.co.uk

Derby_menagerie

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Derby
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2014, 02:31:31 pm »
We use to have similar with mice and rats in a warehouse I use to work in (not food, you'll be glad to here) we kept a sledge hammer that was dropped on them, efficient and humane enough for me.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS