Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep nuts or not sheep nuts????  (Read 2382 times)

mattjen

• Joined Jun 2010
  • eastington
Sheep nuts or not sheep nuts????
« on: May 25, 2014, 10:38:35 pm »
Hi all,,,
The rep I usually get my feed from has said he can get some sheep roll fir £5 a bag if I'm interested and promises faithfully they are the same as the sow nuts,
The question is are they the same or is he blagging me????
Many thanks Matt and Jenn xx

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Re: Sheep nuts or not sheep nuts????
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 10:53:01 pm »
i thought pigs needed higher copper than sheep. i also thought sheep nuts would be grass based, whereas as pigs dont digest grass that well and need barley/wheat.
ask him for an ingredients and vitamin analysis list - it should be on the label.
there are brands that sell livestock feed which is aimed at any species but there are so many companies which offer breed and age specific feed its a shame not to take advantage of it.

whenever we have been offered free or cheap food, its because its had mites or something else wrong with it.

mattjen

• Joined Jun 2010
  • eastington
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 11:25:11 pm »
Apparently he says it's soya based and it's just they have made to much???

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 11:34:40 pm »
Pigs definitely need more copper than sheep but I don't know enough to what extent. Although they probably won't had. I doubt they will provide the right balance for pigs.

mattjen

• Joined Jun 2010
  • eastington
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 12:10:49 am »
To be fair then fir the sake of saving a pound a bag it's nit really worth the risk then,,,many thanks for your views
Thanks Matt and Jenn

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 09:32:27 pm »
There's no risk. They'll eat it and they'll be fine. In the long term they probably won't do as well as on proper pig ration but they'll be fine. A fiver a bag I'd snap it up.

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2014, 11:08:32 pm »
I bought a load off cheap alpaca & goat food got it silly cheap £1 a bag......pigs love it my weaners are doing fine on it slightly slower in growth but I'm saving £5 a bag lol

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 11:14:10 am »
I'd be inclined to snap up similar offers but keep corectly formulated pig feed at around 80% of the ration, especially for piglets, growers and pregnant sows.  You'd still be saving a lot on the maintenance ration for mature pigs and those coming up to slaughter weight.  Wouldn't work in reverse, of course, as copper is highly toxic to sheep.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS