Author Topic: Bantam  (Read 2254 times)

bumpkins

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Petherton, Somerset
  • Don't wait for your ship to come in-swim out to it
Bantam
« on: May 25, 2014, 10:25:29 pm »
Hello again Everyone
We had a bad hatch ten days or so ago and I had to ask around for some chicks to keep our lonely little single chick company.
One of the chicks that we were given is a little Silver Pencilled Wyandotte bantam.  She (I'm pretty sure that it is a 'she'!) is gorgeous but I'm just a bit worried as she is going to be the only bantam amongst a flock of about 15 large bird hens.  Currently they are all running with Brian, our huge Light Sussex Cockerel.  Do you think that the little bantam will be ok?  I'm just worried that she is going to be so tiny in comparison to all of the rest.  They are an easy going lot but I know that she could be a target for bullying.  What does everyone else advise?  Thanks x

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
Re: Bantam
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 11:35:23 pm »
I'd just see how it goes. I've got a mixed flock for eggs - none of them bantams but the Araucana is tiny compared with the huge Orpington cockerel so I was a bit worried about her. She did got trodden quite badly so she's got a saddle now but otherwise seems OK. Certainly hasn't been bullied. Equally I gave one of my Orpington hens to a friend and she lives with two bantams. I was actually worried about her being bullied because she was always the one picked on here (partly why she went) and I know some bantams can be feisty but she's top girl there apparently.

H

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 06:51:49 am »
If it is a hen I'd be very worried about injury from the cockerel. I have heard leg or hip injuries reported several times. In my experience bantams are so fast, if they have plenty of escape routes and perches, nothing can get near them. Our little Leghorn hens used to escape on occasion and snatch food from under the beaks of the Orpington.

We took in some Pekin bantam cockerels which had been dumped on some local waste ground. They were so nasty that they ruled over the large fowl (and were despatched ultimately when they went for me).

bumpkins

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Petherton, Somerset
  • Don't wait for your ship to come in-swim out to it
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 12:10:40 pm »
Thank you - I'll see how it goes then!  I've heard that bantams are quick off the mark and just as feisty.  I have to admit that Brian (cockerel) is slow, stupid and cumbersome.....so maybe things will work out.   When he actually can be bothered to attempt to jump the hens, nine times out of ten he just falls off and sits there looking like a numpty.  I would hate for the little bantam to be hurt though just because I want to keep her!  Thanks again ;D

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 02:39:46 pm »
We have some really tiny pekin hens that free range with our big fowl and are fine. Also Freisian Fowl .... a light breed. There is a big RIR cockerel but I've never seen him tread the pekins. Sticks to the big girls. The small hens were in separate coops to the big fowl in case they were bullied but have now all swapped around of their own accord. My daughter was locking up the other evening and said there had been trouble as her little pekin, Fluffy, was picking on the big hens and wouldn't let them into the coop.  ::). Hopefuuly she'll be okay .... they often have big characters.  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS